Looking for info on this Real Desgn front hub

saddlesore1

Dirt Disciple
I have spoken to Real Designs and due to a new owener he has no past knowledge of this hub. I have done web searches and still find nothing. I also believe it was one of the lightest hubs availible back in the late 80's early 90's. It is very strong for it size due to the fact it is still in great shape after all of these years. It is mated to a Wheelman hoop. The rear hub is tXT with he same wheelman hoop, so I believe this hub came on my K2 4000.. I would like to sell it but dont know if it is worh the effort. Any information would be appricated

Attachments

• rsz_real_design_front_hub.jpg
    rsz_real_design_front_hub.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 706
I've never seen one of those before, although Hershey did a very similar one called a Hershey 'naked' hub if I remember rightly, with a lexan body enabling you to see the logo on the hub. Pretty cool!

I have one. Same as Hershey from what I can tell. The neat thing is that the logo stays in place as the wheel turns.

Nice hub, but the bearings are a somewhat obscure size. If you don't want it please let me know. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Ive got a nos Hershey one. ill dig it out.

Hershey came first , be aware thou, i had 1 explode on me, luckily i was wheeling the bike Down the garden. Id never use 1 in anger and they are not a suspension hub.

here is the red 1 which went POP.

Attachments

• litespeed_1_831.jpg
    litespeed_1_831.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 658
  • SDC10183.JPG
    SDC10183.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 657
Did the flange crack or did it come unbonded? I've always wondered about the durability of the plastic (lexan?) shell.

I guess that's the trade off for their light weight. Definitely not a good hub to
run with suspension.

I ran this this one with the Vector fork and smart shock for years and never had a problem. It came on my suspension bike so I am sure it is designed for it. Otherwise there would be a huge liability problem. The outer lexon cover is just a dirt guard. If you slide the outer bearings off the lexon comes off as well. There is no strenghth in it what so every.

Both Hershey and Real made beefier front hubs designated for suspension forks.

For me, a 79 gram hub with tiny flanges is going to be too flexy to run with a shock, but if it works for you, more power to ya.

Back