Looking for info on my Harry Quinn

robv

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I'm a Dutch cyclist and new to this forum. I have an interest in British bikes (if the music's good, the bikes must be as well). Recently I ran into a Harry Quinn which is at my place now.

I have some pictures at:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1183.../5958728297591225745?authkey=CNmDndrUu7by9wE

There is a frame number on the bottom bracket V12206 (?) and GU34 4A??84 (see pic)

Based on these last two digits and on the components I would say it was build in 1984. That would mean it's from the Clements period. Frame and parts indicate a middle segment tourer (eyelets for mudguards). There's a model name "Classique" on the top tube, consisting of separate letters which have moved out of line (see pic). Anyone seen this model before? I'm not interested in value, just looking for some background information. Could this be build in England? I hope any of you experts can shed some light on this.
I plan to clean and tune it so I can take to it to its homeland for the L'Eroica perhaps.

Frame & forks: Reynolds 531 (butted)
Wheels: Maillard high flange hubs, Rigida 27 1/4 rims
Quick release: Spidel
Gears: Simplex SX610
Shifters: Simplex SX8811
Brakes: Weinmann 730 sidepull
Handlebar: Sakae Custom Road Champion
Stem: ITM
Cranks: Solida
pedals: MKS AR-1

Thanks, Rob

The GU34 4A(E) possible? Is a UK post code, there was a big police drive to have bike frames marked with the owners post code in the 80s. 84 could even be the year it was done. If it is an E it once lived in Beech in Hampshire.

As for the bike, I would say your right about it being a Clements, most of Harry's frames start with a 'Q' followed by 4 digits, some early frames don't have the Q. It very distinctive as they used a letter 'O' struck across with an 'I' to form the Q.

Clements bought frames from all over including the far east and badged them as Harry Quinn's, so its not easy to determine where a Clements frame originated. It looks a decent enough frame :)

Thanks for solving this. As a non-Brit I didn't realize it's a post code. The bike has a decal "Supplied by C.B. Ransom" in Alton which is in the same area. Could mean the bike is older than 1984.
We had the same post code marking craze over here, I still have my dad's bike with the post code engraved.

Maybe someone has an idea of the origins of the bike. Frame is decent enough indeed, does not seem like a far east import.

the 84 is almost certainly the house number. You could always write to the people at that address with a foto of the bike and see if they once owned it.
(the power of the internet :shock: )

Thanks. The power of the internet (Google Street View) allowed me to have a look at the house of the previous owner. Not the kind of place where you would expect a low budget bike. :D
Anyway, based on the parts on the bike I think it's early eighties. I wonder if anyone ever seen a Harry Quinn model named Classique with these specs.

good evening i sold a Classique a few months back wasnt bad for a mass produced 531 frame just a shame it wasnt a proper Harry Quinn . either way enjoy it

While working on the bike I found another decal I had overlooked:
"A product of British Eagle Cycles, Newtown, Powys". So made in Britain after all.

Apparantly, for a while Clements had bikes produced over there and badged them with Harry Quinn decals.

It's an OK bike. Frame is decent, Maillard hubs roll along nicely. Hubs are stamped "Maillard 24 83 Made in France". I suspect 83 is the year?

biggs682":20xa4vym said:
good evening i sold a Classique a few months back wasnt bad for a mass produced 531 frame just a shame it wasnt a proper Harry Quinn . either way enjoy it

this is a pic of my one

Attachments

• quinn.JPG
    quinn.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 763
Back