wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'm building an old Santa Cruz Superlight. I'd like to build it as light as possible BUT with an eye on the spend. I know the two often don't really go together!

Here's my planned spec below. I'd welcome suggestions for cost effective alternatives where appropraite :)...Especially with choice of BB type and cranks please!...would a lightweight square taper and cranks (like Tune) be lighter than external BB and hollow axel set-up? :?

I plan to run it 1x9 as I thought removing shifter, cable, front mech and chainring would reduce the weight!

Frame: Santa Cruz Superlight

Fork: RS SID (28mm) or Pace RC39

Headset: Chris King 91g - already got
Stem: Syntace F99 - with ti bolts 109g - already got
Handlebar: Easton CT2 Carbon Riser - already got
Grips: Foam - already got

Brakes: Avid Ti (V-brakes)
Brake Pads: Ceramic compound
Brake Cables:
Brake Levers: Avid Ti

Shifters: Sram X0 - just one side for rear mech
Front Derailleur: NA
Rear Derailleur: Sram X0 193g
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: XTR M970 11-34 242g
Chain: KMC 9SL 246g - already got
Crankset: Middleburn RS8 X-Type?...XTR M970?...Tune???
Bottom Bracket: ???
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg beater 4Ti 168g - already got

Hub Skewers: KCNC 45g - already got
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax (tubeless ready rims) - already got
Tyres: Rocket Ron Pacestar (tubeless)
Tubes: NA

Saddle: Flite Transalp - already got
Seatpost: USE Carbon Alien + Shim 143g+37g
Seatpost Binder:KCNC 11g

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Cheers

Re:

I'm not sure if its the lightest but an SRAM XX1 and absolute black spiderless chainring were coming in very light and IIRC I don't think Tune's were that light considering the ££. No facts or figures though.

Re: Re:

kaiser":1l05hoh8 said:
I'm not sure if its the lightest but an SRAM XX1 and absolute black spiderless chainring were coming in very light and IIRC I don't think Tune's were that light considering the ££. No facts or figures though.

Thanks for the reply :)

They're looking about £200 with a ring...I was hoping to spend about half that I reckon.

Any other suggestions? :) ...what about the M970 or the RS8?

Cheers

Re:

like this build ! the lightest bike i had - silly light - was running a second hand battered isis RS7 i then bought a new UNO setup for it and ran the bike 1x9.
the UNO is around 450grms ? plus 200 for a bb thats 650grms all in.
my Noir chainset is 800grmsish ?

Re:

I've bought an M970 crankset with Wolf 'narrow/wide' chainring. Should be about 655g all in, including XT BB I reckon :)

Cheers

Wonder how light you can get a usable mountain bike? Be interested to see how much under 20 pounds you can get ,

sparkiegaz":1swihszl said:
Wonder how light you can get a usable mountain bike? Be interested to see how much under 20 pounds you can get ,

I doubt it'll go that low :)

This one is about 19lbs...

I did a Yeti ASR SL before and (iirc) that was about 21.5lb at it's lightest (link in sig) :)

Cheers

sparkiegaz":1dwwg1l2 said:

I have one 16.5 lbs with no front suspension - budget was about 700 quid (a lot of second hand stuff and cheap carbon)

Some German guy had a bike down to between 13 and 14 lbs

Re:

RS-1 Cranks were one of the lightest square taper types made, I have a nice MD one with Boone Ti chain rings and with a Specialized BB, Ti bolts, the whole caboodle is just sub 600g.
Big savings could also be made with a Boone Cassette, Schmolke bars, SR thumbies and some headsets can be had around 65g.
Brake levers is another area for big savings, Aest/KCNC/Mr Control etc
Mech's can be I worked on to drop a fair bit of weight, Ti/Alloy bolts, Ti springs, ceramic Jockey wheels.
Budget is always the constraint. I had a Khs Ti down to just over 16 pounds, without going mad, cost wise. I know of a local guy who has a fully geared Scott Spark carbon HT, that is sub 12 pounds, but it cost over 10K to put together :facepalm:

Back