wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My Spark 10 currently sits at about 22lb. As a tinkering project, I'd like to lighten it; aiming for about 20lb.

Current spec....

Frame: Spark 10
Grips: 34/30 tapered - probably swap for Ritchey foam or ESi
Bar: Renthal riser - 40mm rise, which I like!
Stem: Ritchey wcs 31.8 - maybe swap for a Syntace
Shifter: xtr m970 (3x9) - see below
Brakes: Formula R1
Headset: integrated
Fork: SID - see below
Wheels: Hope Pro II + Stans Crest - see below
Tyres: Rocket Ron 2.25 TR - see below
Chainset: XTR M970 triple - see below
BB: Hope
Pedals: Look carbon/titanium - I'd like to find some Eggbeater 4Ti
Chain: KMC 9SL
Cassette: xtr m970 - see below
RD: xtr m980 iirc - see below
Seatpost: Rtichey wcs carbon
Saddle: Flite

A good friend is going to lend me some Sram XX 1x11 stuff to try!... shifter, RD, cassette and an X0 x1 crankset

I've bought a Manitou R7 MRD Absolute fork to try - should be lighter than the SID

I think the next main thing will be wheels, so looking for suggestions for sub 1500g (maybe around 1300g!?) 26er (100/135mm) QR, 6 bolt, tubeless - maybe Stans something?... and maybe some 2.1 Rocket Rons.

Cheers

Last edited:
Roval Control carbon SL, or something or other wheels, are ridiculously light. I think the 26" ones are in the 1200g ball park. I liked them so much I have the 29er version on my other bike as well.

Roval Control carbon SL, or something or other wheels, are ridiculously light. I think the 26" ones are in the 1200g ball park. I liked them so much I have the 29er version on my other bike as well.

Available in 26"?

Cheers

Yes available in 26. I have a pair in 26, not for sale as on one of my more modern bikes. I think they will be pretty cheap 2nd hand now. Although i think I paid about a grand new.

Why not but some bars instead of the rentals ;)

Someone once told me syntace stuff is light and well made, preferable to Thompson in the quality stakes. I've only ventured into their bars and stems, but I'm sure other parts are cut from the same cloth, and seem to fly under the radar.

Tyres seem to be a good place to save weight, though I'd assume a compromise with longevity.

Flite saddles aren't that light, you could probably shave 100g on a lighter flite, I had a 135g one, it was actually not uncomfortable. Or a full carbon saddle, again I've tried one and it wasn't so bad. Got a few kicking around if you want weights, happy to sell one if you fancy?

You could shave weight with lighter rotors and ti rotor bolts. Ti bolts in general. Think of all those grams saved.

A few more grams with lighter headset bearings, are ceramic lighter?

Magura brakes are probably lighter at the lever end, no idea about calliper.

Did you really get away with 9sp shifters and a 10sp mech?

Why not but some bars instead of the rentals ;)

Someone once told me syntace stuff is light and well made, preferable to Thompson in the quality stakes. I've only ventured into their bars and stems, but I'm sure other parts are cut from the same cloth, and seem to fly under the radar.

Tyres seem to be a good place to save weight, though I'd assume a compromise with longevity.

Flite saddles aren't that light, you could probably shave 100g on a lighter flite, I had a 135g one, it was actually not uncomfortable. Or a full carbon saddle, again I've tried one and it wasn't so bad. Got a few kicking around if you want weights, happy to sell one if you fancy?

You could shave weight with lighter rotors and ti rotor bolts. Ti bolts in general. Think of all those grams saved.

A few more grams with lighter headset bearings, are ceramic lighter?

Magura brakes are probably lighter at the lever end, no idea about calliper.

Did you really get away with 9sp shifters and a 10sp mech?

Ha-ha, yes, good typo spot! :LOL:

Yes, I believe Syntace to be good stuff; I've had a few of their stems - light and strong.

I think the 2.1 RR instead of the 2.25 RR's could be a good option and fine on full-suss!

I was considering a Flite TT - but please let me know what you have 👍

The Spark already has 160/140 KCNC rotors with ti bolts.

Yes, good question re: the RD, I need to check that!... It's definitely 9spd, but not M970, it's a shadow thingy iirc! 🤔

Cheers

Are the bars the carbon version? If not that’s an easy swap to same bar but lighter. To be honest though, you’ve done pretty much most things you can already. 2lb is roughly 900g and I’m struggling to see where you could drop that much. It’s a fun exercise, but in my mind even if it’s not going to be a rider, it still has to be a bike capable of being ridden hard, otherwise what’s the point. It’s already way lighter than the bikes the pro’s are racing this year.

the pros bikes are running 29inch wheels, dropper seatposts & 2.4 tyres. yup they're all heavier, but they're also way faster..

syntace & thomson stuff is reliable, but its not that light.

the pros bikes are running 29inch wheels, dropper seatposts & 2.4 tyres. yup they're all heavier, but they're also way faster..

syntace & thomson stuff is reliable, but its not that light.

That was my point. Weight doesn’t matter half as much as we were led to believe.

130mm Thomson stem weighs 180g ish. Any further weight saving isn’t worth it for the money it would take.

Yes, carbon Renthal bar.

Yep, totally get where you're coming from, but with my health being so poor, lightweight makes a difference for me. Whether it's on a (very) rare occasion I may actually ride it!... or lifting on/off a work-stand or in/out of a vehicle.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back