lets see your winter bikes

I just add mudguard's winter tyres and carry on using mine (though they get a good pre winter service - grease in the hubs/headsets and a good lube up)

axyoeddy4.jpg

axyoeddy1.jpg

Pics just taken on today's ride... modern-ish Felt RXC frame, retro-ish Mavic Crosslink wheels and mostly XTR M952 bits:

5212102512_aa466d3d46_b.jpg

5212103150_647b9822d1_b.jpg

5211502405_b6991c6861_b.jpg

^ Nokian Mount & Ground studded ice tyres.

drystonepaul":3km3fl1q said:
These two currently tend to take most of the abuse over Winter.

Firstly a 1993-1995 (I'm not sure of the exact date) steel Saracen frame, powder coated and built up with the ever reliable Deore M510 groupset and v-brakes. Full mudguards and a rear rack (for thermos, pipe and slippers) push the weight up to about 34 pounds.

Saracen-Hack-04.jpg

Then I have another eBay bargain frame purchase. This modern generic pile of crap was decaled up as a virtually unused 2005 Claud Butler Olympus XT. Top of the range bike for the year.
After a trip to the powder coaters and another Deore groupset, this time with discs, it anonymously performs it's winter duties with crushing mediocrity.
I know it's modern; but secretly I actually quite like it, and rarely feel to need to even clean it.

CB-Olympus.jpg

I'm also currently working on a 1993 Kona Lava Dome, and I've just been given a 1998 Saracen HardTrax frame to furnish with parts from the stockpile. Both will be built up more of less period correct for a bit more winter mud shunting.

SShhhhhhhh.....

I think the CB looks GREAT :D

5bf8517d.jpg

My Kona HumuhumunukunukuApua'A, the only bike i have ridden for weeks. It's built up with WTB rims on DX BMX hubs, short DH cranks, spot bash ring, modern mud tyres, SRAM brakes and now with some 720mm BMX cruiser bars. Great bike that goes anywhere. I've just winterized it with early crud guard and crud catcher, a hip flask and holder (Filled with Cognac) and a Troute Liberator. I'm going to treat it to a new headset this week as the original Kona one is now about knackered.

rojo":38k9zpj3 said:
:oops: :oops: Whats the difference with a winter bike to ones you ride in summer, is it you change tyres or something??

Sorry if thick question :oops:

Also known as a 'winter hack' something your not bothered if it gets
dropped, rusted, after all you dont cover a good bike in expensive
components that'll get killed by road salt/grit
and low maintenance, mines is ridged to.

Not built for winter, but winterised with crud catchers, mud tyres & the original Mavic/Deore/XT wheelset not the tubeless Crossland wheels I use in Summer & a DX Magicshine light up front for night rides

I'm not too fussed if the bike gets a few more battle scars and stuff wears out a bit quicker, it's an excuse for new shiny bits in Spring ;)

Anyhoo, my winterised Clockwork (without the DX light)
5174650697_8317eb1a29_z.jpg

Back