john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...and i don't mean bigfoot.

after some yeti pics, esp mid 90s alloy. Bring it on :cool:

what was the last year of 'proper' yeti production before they sold out?

As much as I like the shiny, a ratty and raced yeti rocks :cool:

John":230wdzdz said:

mid 90's = dodgy times for Yeti.

John Parker sold Yeti to Scott Sports/Schwinn in 1995. He was sacked by Schwinn in 1997. In early '98 Yeti launched the AS-3 to replace the ARC-AS.

IMO the last 'proper' Yetis were the ARC's up to 1995 with 1 1/4" headtube and cantilever hanger on rear stays.

I'd really like an alloy Yeti* but they are notorius for breaking. I think me having one would be bad idea :D

(* obviously that comment excludes my ASR-SL ;) )

pic of my Kokopelli is in the gallery .

it is a 1996 model ,and it was cracked when i bought it . it was at seat clamp , so nothing major .

John":32c0yiv8 said:
So 1996 on are to be avoided then?

no pics :cry:

I wouldnt say 96 on to be avoided (except the AS3 where the chainstays used to crack, even yeti owner chris conroy apologized about that frame ;)
Definately the schwinn days were a low era, but I wouldnt lock stock avoid the entire yeti range in that era.

Yeti are very similiar to FAT in that in times of financial need they sold out, only to later "buy themselves back out". They've got as good a rep now as they did in the parker era...

www.yetifan.com is the place to look for pics. andys done a top job over the years. theres always a few retro yetis at the tribemeets :)

MadCowKev":y8r8b1wi said:
John":y8r8b1wi said:

. In early '98 Yeti launched the AS-3 to replace the ARC-AS.

sorta right, the AS3 was originally designed as a dual slalom frame, but quickly shoved into production as an XC bike. its the 1 "yeti" that was designed by schwinn & doesnt have any "love" within the yeti tribe.

MadCowKev":3mm241t2 said:
IMO the last 'proper' Yetis were the ARC's up to 1995 with 1 1/4" headtube and cantilever hanger on rear stays

I meant last proper retro ......

The current bikes are awesome and as Scant says the companies reputation is now as strong as it ever was.

Now if only they'd release a modern steel FRO :(

MadCowKev":a7tc0xcg said:
MadCowKev":a7tc0xcg said:
IMO the last 'proper' Yetis were the ARC's up to 1995 with 1 1/4" headtube and cantilever hanger on rear stays

I meant last proper retro ......

The current bikes are awesome and as Scant says the companies reputation is now as strong as it ever was.

Now if only they'd release a modern steel FRO :(

last propper retro are steel ;) :LOL: but yeh, everyones definition of retro I guess ;)

i'd be amazed if they make a modern steel, infact I know theres no plans. no demand for it! 575 is by far there biggest selling bike. only slightly heavier than a steel hardtail & waaay more capable ;)

Back