Let's see some Fat Chances.....

drevil":f25ozead said:
'94 Somerville Yo Eddy

507142206_2cdb7e1b12_o.jpg

When I originally bought it, it was the team Lavender, but two years later I had them repaint it. Not sure why, because I loved that color! In 2001 I converted it to singlespeed and it hasn't seen gears since. Right now it sits unloved in the basement with ENO rear wheel (to get rid of the Surly tensioner) and ENO cranks. The Sweet Wings like in the above pic were loosening up too often.

cool flickr and Fat...lots of pics :)

Dr S":lmgetlcv said:
dyna-ti":lmgetlcv said:
Question time :?

Someone want to explain the appeal of the 'Fat Chance'
Sure its a nice looking bike but is there more to it than that?

You only get the answer by riding one. I've had a lot of bikes old and new over the years and nothing has come close to a FAT for handling, comfort and performance. They are simply sublime.

Si

exactly. Once you ride a Fat in technical woods, any Fat Chance, you realize there is something unique about these bikes. it's the handling in difficult situations... but then the climbing is energetic. and you can ride it evertywhere all day since it's comfortable.
an ibis mojo comes close. that's all.

purplewicked":gwp8s9m0 said:
Dr S":gwp8s9m0 said:
dyna-ti":gwp8s9m0 said:
Question time :?

Someone want to explain the appeal of the 'Fat Chance'
Sure its a nice looking bike but is there more to it than that?

You only get the answer by riding one. I've had a lot of bikes old and new over the years and nothing has come close to a FAT for handling, comfort and performance. They are simply sublime.

Si

exactly. Once you ride a Fat in technical woods, any Fat Chance, you realize there is something unique about these bikes. it's the handling in difficult situations... but then the climbing is energetic. and you can ride it evertywhere all day since it's comfortable.
an ibis mojo comes close. that's all.

Custom made IF?

Surely the Fat Chance geometry has been copied by now!

I believe it's a lot to do with the brand also. Right image, desirable and so the prices go up, people hang onto them and they become rare etc.

Neil G":24lvsc7g said:

I believe it's a lot to do with the brand also. Right image, desirable and so the prices go up, people hang onto them and they become rare etc.

Maybe its brand image for some but not for me. I've had plenty of bikes and when you are in the middle of nowhere slogging your guts out brand image has nothing to with choice. I also think people hang onto them because once you have one you realise nothing comes close.

Geometry has probably been copied many times over, its pretty unadventurous and can be found everywhere. its probably more to do with design and speccing of the tubesets, constuction etc.

I'll tell you how good a FAT is. I rode my 87 Wicked for both days of the Big Weekender just gone and despite it being the oldest bike out there and without suspension forks, it placed a slightly overweight rider (and a smoker at that!) with very average handling skills and average fitness, 4th overall and first non susser in the downhill challenge. As the yanks say- go figure!

Si

Dr S":3fh82xg1 said:
Neil G":3fh82xg1 said:

Maybe its brand image for some but not for me. I've had plenty of bikes and when you are in the middle of nowhere slogging your guts out brand image has nothing to with choice. I also think people hang onto them because once you have one you realise nothing comes close.

Geometry has probably been copied many times over, its pretty unadventurous and can be found everywhere. its probably more to do with design and speccing of the tubesets, constuction etc.

I'll tell you how good a FAT is. I rode my 87 Wicked for both days of the Big Weekender just gone and despite it being the oldest bike out there and without suspension forks, it placed a slightly overweight rider (and a smoker at that!) with very average handling skills and average fitness, 4th overall and first non susser in the downhill challenge. As the yanks say- go figure!

Si

also while the geometry has been copied, (I had a KHS with the exact same geometry), the craftmanship has not. The welds are so smooth, one would think FB if they didn't know better. What Dr. S writes about the ride is not hyperbole- it's the truth.

Also, I prefer the Mass Fats as opposed to the NY Fats due to the story behind it all; it matters to me. I've never owned a ny fat, and won't. Instead of the ny fats, I bought early IF's, same people, same mojo.

It's definitely not just a name thing.

Back