Lava Dome ('91) comfortable commuter

captainsully

Kona Fan
Having recently picked up a lovely Kona Lava Dome from @cda (thank you!), I thought it would make a great ride for around town and commuting.

Starting with a really nice frame, and some original parts that I will restore as well as I can. Some parts are not original and will be replaced with my preferred choices: the saddle, levers, pedals, and tyres. I'll also be swapping the canti brakes for v-brakes - sorry to upset the gurus! But I feel more comfortable setting them up nicely for riding on the road.

I got carried away and stripped it down completely, allowing me to clean and regrease/oil every piece. And I'm glad I did as it revealed quite a rusty lower headset cup - luckily only on the outside so it could be sorted out with a bit of effort.

Here's how it started:
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_20240820_201059962.jpg
IMG_20240824_135042250~2.jpg

And here it is now with the headset cups back in, some paint touched up, forks and stem resprayed, and a proper polish & wax. The cranks in this photo have since been changed back to the original ones after a little polish. I'll pop another update on soon.
IMG_20240830_142446416_HDR~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back