Latest Ebay purchase GT LTS-5

Still unsure about what to do with this, so I'll crack on with the strip down.

So, removing a crank arm that has no threads for a puller.

My though was, using a hacksaw cut along the line shown below and then use a cold chisle to break the arm. Anyone done this sucessfully before?
DSC_0337.jpg

Then it's stripping off the rear frame. Is it a case of slacken/remove the bolts in the pivots and then drifting out the pivot?
DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

How does this top mount for the elastomer come off? should it just screw off? I don't want to chew up the aluminium if I can help it.
DSC_0341.jpg

Forks!

Does anyone have an exploded view or strip down guide for RSt 381's please?
DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

Thanks

RST 381's are about as basic as it gets. should just unbolt from the bottom allowing the lowers to pull off with a sharp tug

elastomer stacks unscrew from the top - that's all there will be to these forks

Sawing off the crank arm will be no problem, I've done it several times when renovating old bikes.

I usually cut at 90 degrees to the line in your diagram, as near to the BB axle as possible, cutting in towards the BB, cutting the top of the crank off, and then levering what's left of the crank off. The axle is very hard steel so with just a little care you won't damage it.

you should be able to download a full guide from the rst website. give google a try.

i have a set of rst 381r 's on my 98 raleigh. they are in full working order so hopefully yours will be the same after a nice clean & service.

Took the forks apart yesterday, and a couple of the elastomers have completly disintegrated.

So unles I can find replacements very cheap, these are scrap too :roll:

It's looking more and more likely that this willl end up just becoming a donor to the build I'm doing for my daughter.

Long time ago, but did you ever strip down and rebuild the elastomer unit...and more importantly take photos ?

I got mine from a mate, who had already stripped it down., I got a new elasotomer and rebuilt it ..and it works, but is a bit soft...should ahve gone for the firm rather than medium elastomer......but
I have some leftover bits :( a short alloy tube and some rubber cone shaped 'washers'

Back