Latest Ebay purchase GT LTS-5

^^ :LOL: ^^

I think that's what attracted me to it.

I'm presuming the elastomer is indeed shot. I'll know more when I've collected it.

I only saw it when there was 3 minutes left on the acution, so no time for research on it, but bagged it for £39 so not a bad buy.

Can the higher spec rear shocks be used to replace the elastomer?

This might even become my retromod project yet....let's see.

AR-CoolC":2twljzlf said:
Can the higher spec rear shocks be used to replace the elastomer?

This might even become my retromod project yet....let's see.

No, I don't think they can. They have a different pivot point - the top pivot to the frame is higher, and the top linkage (called the Trunnion on post-96 high-end models) is longer.

If you're happy to hack up a bargain bike, then something could be bodged, I'm sure!

i'm told skate board truck elastomers fit these
i dont know if they're any good but gotta be worth a try

Right, so I picked this up yesterday and took a few more pictures. It was dark by the time I got home, so not the best unfortunately.

DSC_0336.jpg

Rear elastomer is shot
DSC_0329.jpg

Cranks only fit for the bin
DSC_0324.jpg

Front and rear deurallier should clean up ok
DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Wheels look like they'll clean up and be good after a re-grease
DSC_0331.jpg

Final verdict.
Chain, cables, rear elastomer, headset, and possibly forks (might be servicable though) are scrap.

Bottom bracket, wheels (STX hubs with Bomber rims) and seat are good. Frame needs a tidy but nothis major, no real rust just surface where the chain strikes/cable rubs are.

It's now in component form in the garage while I decide what to do with it (any suggestions) the only issue I have is removing the non-drive side arm, the threads are shot so my puller won't get hold of it. Any tricks to getting this off without damaging the BB?

All-in-all probably not the great bargain I originaly thought I had, more a realistic price for condition.

easiest way is to take the bolt out and ride it up and down the street a bit
looks okay tbh not keen on the yellow but thats easy sorted

for the crank arm, take the bike and your puller to a local engineer and just get hem to re-tap the crank arm. it should work, failing that use heat on the tapers & 'chisel' it off from behind with a lump of hardwood and a hammer.

mikee":1012x7z5 said:
easiest way is to take the bolt out and ride it up and down the street a bit
looks okay tbh not keen on the yellow but thats easy sorted

The bike is in component form now so can't be ridden.

jax13":1012x7z5 said:
for the crank arm, take the bike and your puller to a local engineer and just get hem to re-tap the crank arm. it should work, failing that use heat on the tapers & 'chisel' it off from behind with a lump of hardwood and a hammer.

I've had a 2 arm puller on it heating the arm and it stayed put. Annoying really as the drive side slid straight off without an issue.

I don't mind destroying the arm, I just want to make sure I don't damage the frame or the bottom bracket. Has anyone tried cutting the arm and splitting it with a cold chisel?

I've got a spare left side Alivio arm you could have for postage if you want, but tbh Alivio cranks aren't worth worrying about and the bb is a LP26 that you could replace for pennies.

£39 seems like a good bargain to me, but then I like yellow.

Back