Late Raleigh 531c Luxe serviced. Photos and questions...

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hello all,

I've posted about this bike before so apologies if any of this is repetitious! I've had the bike for nearly a year now and just got round to servicing it as it had been hung up unused for several years prior to purchase. Last time I posted about it, there was some discussion about what the groupset is and the consensus was that it was part Triomphe and part Victory. I'd like to know which component is which if possible so that I can hopefully eventually get the missing parts from the most prevalent group.

I've just had it completely apart, cleaned everything and rebuilt it with different bars, new bar tape and new cables. It still needs new tyres (can anyone suggest a good option here: 700x23c for summer/dry use on good road surfaces only) and also a new saddle - probably a Turbo 80's-style one in beige/grey if I can find it.

I still haven't ridden it which is a bit odd, but hopefully the weather will perk up a little once I've got some new tyres for it and I can take it out.

The only part that stands out as being totally wrong is the Shimano 6-speed freewheel. I've looked on eBay and completely failed to find a Campagnolo replacement. What's going on here? What would be a better replacement, more in fitting with the rest of the bike's parts?

One aside - I wasn't ready for what a difference it would make to work with some quality Campagnolo parts. I've more used to working with the high-end Raleigh bikes from the 1980's, which means a lot of Suntour and other Japanese (Sakae, Tange Laprade etc.) bits, but the campag bits are lightyears ahead in terms of quality. It was a real pleasure setting up the bottom bracket!

One last thing: the serial number on this bike starts WB9 which means it's from the Carlton workshop, but in Nottingham, from February 1989. I didn't realise that they were still making W-prefixed frames this late. How much longer did it last?

Anyway - here are a few pics - the full album is here.

Re: Late Raleigh 531cLuxe serviced. Photos and questions...

Forgot to add pics of the rear dérailleur:

Thanks for any help!

I hope you will change the direction of your front brake blocks............... that is an accident waiting to happen......

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps!

That's a handy article about the two groupsets, but it looks like I need to do some more homework before I can use it to my advantage. It's a classic case where some pictures would have saved a lot of words!

Nob - I didn't realise that the blocks were directional. What makes you say that they're the wrong way round?

Anyway I shan't be taking it out for a ride any time soon, certainly not until I get some new tyres.

Velobase can be useful when trying to put an ID on components, but it is UGC so only as good as the contributors: not to be used as a primary source.

If you look at the pad holders, one end is open (as seen in your photo) and the other closed: with your current set-up, the risk is that when you brake the pads will be pulled out of the holders.

This is most likely to happen under hard braking...

Assuming you want to keep the gumwall look, then Vittoria Open Corsa SC are an option (use latex tubes for best results). Vittoria have revamped their line-up, so the cost of these will either skyrocket or plummet, depending on how the new tyres are received: currently £30-odd a piece.

ScillySuffolk":of7npxnw said:
If you look at the pad holders, one end is open (as seen in your photo) and the other closed: with your current set-up, the risk is that when you brake the pads will be pulled out of the holders.

This is most likely to happen under hard braking...

This is a clear explanation & imagine going down a steep hill the first time you brake they'll fly out & you risk having a serious injury.........

Re:

Many thanks to both Nob and ScillySuffolk for that! Working with both the Weinmann-style blocks, and the new Shimano blocks I had no idea that the Campagnolo ones were set up like that.

Of course now I've thought about it it makes sense - you can slide worn pads out and replace them - which you can't on the Weinmann blocks.

I'll be get them turned round. Glad I posted the pics now as it's the kind of thing you'd not want to learn the hard way!!

Back