Late 80's Kona Cindercone

Karmann65

Retro Newbie
Hi. This is my first thread on retrobike. Thought I'd share with you my late 80's Kona Cindercone. I bought this preowned bike in 1990 for £220. It was totally original back then and has always been great fun to ride. Pretty much every week since then I've ridden this bike at some point and it's coped admirably with everything I've thrown at it. Although I used to take it off road, nowadays it's strictly my "middle age spread prevention tool" :LOL:

It's been years since anything major went wrong with it (replaced bottom bracket for a sealed one) and just in the last fortnight (June 2017) I've given it its first major overhaul. Alas, the Biopace Hyperglide crankset has now gone :cry: , as has the original rear derailleur and chain. Yes, you read correctly, the original chain! ;)

About 20 years ago the frame of this bike (and my right ankle) got trashed in an incident with my ex's horse. I claimed on the horse insurance policy and the bike was declared scrap by the local Kona dealer (Zoom Cycles in Lytham St Annes, UK). Under the "new for old" policy I got very a similar specced chromolly steel Trek 950. The Trek however was never as good to ride as the Kona so after a few hours with a heavy seat post sized bar and a planishing spoon I managed to bring the Kona's damaged frame back to reasonable shape and resurrected the old bike. From that point on, originality wasn't such a big deal but I didn't want to stray too far. Overall I'm quite pleased with the way the rebuild worked out. The barely used Trek hangs on my garage wall to this day. :D

So here is my Kona as it stands today....

260ptet.jpg

shod with a new Shimano crankset, chain, rear cassette, chain and derailleur. New Shimano shifter levers, saddle, headset bearings, sealed bottom bracket and 1.5" Schwalbe City Jets. To keep the OG stickers I sprayed around them firstly in white primer and then an off white similar to original. Hence the splatter is mostly now gone.

Hope you like it too!

Ready to roll once again! :cool:

Re:

"after a few hours with a heavy seat post sized bar and a planishing spoon I managed to bring the Kona's damaged frame back to reasonable shape and resurrected the old bike" :shock:

Nice old Kona that. :D

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2qttpzpt said:
Nice old Kona that. :D

Thanks. It still feels retro despite all its new parts

Bullpup":2qttpzpt said:
What's a planishing spoon please? - no clear answer on google?

It's an old school tool that looks like a file with no teeth and smooth rounded edges. If used correctly it can (as Stringerfabrication says) be used to push dented sheet metal or tubes back into shape.

I've had one since my apprenticeship days as a Tinsmith/Coppersmith. Always knew it would come in handy at some point. :D

Hotwheels.":2hl1auqr said:
Just Googled 'slapper' and it didn't have much to do with bodywork. :oops:

:facepalm:

Before this gets out of control :roll: ...."body spoon" turned up a few results on Google

s-l400.jpg

Hopefully you'll never need one. It takes a particular kind of stubborn to go to this extreme with an old bike frame.

Re:

This was on one of it's last trips before the recent refurb. The sidewall of the rear tyre had started to bulge creating a bump every revolution of the wheel. :shock: But still the bike refused to give in!

2em0gew.jpg

2clcle.jpg

1hxpom.jpg

Re:

There's something strangely theraputic about stripping a bike completely down. It's been a long time since I last did...
2hyjdhy.jpg

Shimano Mountain LX front derailleur...
14c8d2q.jpg

Repainted U-brake bridge but the bolt heads still need a touch up...
20jwue.jpg

Back