Kronos Springs Rock Shox 95-97 Judy XC SL (160lbs )

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":b325ppp1 said:
mishmash69":b325ppp1 said:
Was pointed in the direction of these replacement springs by someone on one of the retro fb pages
I bought them from JE James

Rockshox Spring/Spacer Kit Judy 04-06 XFIRM x1

They should arrive tomorrow

can you provide more details? i'm after a set or two myself. does he have any more and does he only hae extra firm?

Je james is a shop ;)

https://www.jejamescycles.com/

mishmash69":1rrzg616 said:
Was pointed in the direction of these replacement springs by someone on one of the retro fb pages

By the looks of it you're going the same route as me.

I've got this kit.

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

This is what is included in the kit. Unfortunately the preload adjuster wont fit in the SL's as they use much thinner gauge tubes on the uppers than the modern forks.

Obviously bear in mind that modern forks use a spring in just 1 leg as opposed to both on the Judy's.

The other leg would just house the damper unit.

So, this is the internals from my SL fork. Replacing the shot elastomers I have springs that have been ripped out of a old set of RST forks and they're really nasty (not ground off at the ends or anything). I have butchered the old forks internals so they have chamfered spaces either end, but they're not ideal.

Now that gives me a full stack height.

If we compare the new spring side by side the new spring is obviously much longer.

This takes it this far down on the shaft.

So my idea is, if i was to shorten this rod, then the new spring would fit using all the original internals.

My questions are ....

How easy to come by are these shafts?

If I was to cut this down and the spring set up didnt work, is it going to be easy to get a replacement?

Does anyone have a spare just in case?

cheers
Chris

i might be wrong but i don't think you should be cutting the rod. from what i gathered, the longer travel kits for the Judy had longer rods in the dummy leg and damper to correlate with the longer springs.

so from what i'm reading in this thread, ppl are trying to find springs from more modern forks and trying to retrofit them into the Judy forks.

I looked around ... I am ok with extra firm at this stage... I found other spring kits online that I think 'think being the word here' will do the job but wasn't 100% sure

Go the JE James site and copy and paste the description of the springs into your browser... you should get other options pop up - be interested in what you think might/won't work

also the cost .. £20 vs £80-90
If this doesn't work, I am going down the PU rod route with holes drilled through the centre

mkone":3pmp7u4h said:
RockiMtn":3pmp7u4h said:
mishmash69":3pmp7u4h said:

can you provide more details? i'm after a set or two myself. does he have any more and does he only hae extra firm?

Je james is a shop ;)

https://www.jejamescycles.com/

Just tried to drop these springs in and they don't fit :0(

mishmash69":1trl3m4d said:
Just tried to drop these springs in and they don't fit :0(
are you trying to slide them in from the top of the fork legs? assuming they fit at all, you need to load the springs from the bottom of the stanchion, as it tapers to smaller diameter at the top. and if the springs you have are constant diameter from top to bottom, you will also need something fitted at the top to bridge that tapered area (elastomer or small diameter spring) between the spring and the top cap. see my thread here regarding my Judy forks:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=346190&start=24

Thanks for that ....I did wonder about that but assumed you loaded from the top down

I do have the smaller springs that fit to the top cap, that came as standard and the springs I bought do have plastic spacers that came with them

My concern (until I try) is will it all go in - lol

Thanks for the link....reading up :)

Back