Kona's page

Hello,

My turn : a 1996 XS Kona Lava Dome. Some components were changed (fork, stem, headset, seatpost, saddle, tyres) by the previous owner when I bought it and I wanted something more like the original. It was difficult to find exact original components, but it's better now, I've found a 1990 Project Two Joe Murray Edition fork, original Velocity stem, Impact headset, Selle Italia Expedia saddle, a modern aluminum seatpost (but same color and accurate dimensions). And I chose the classic Dart and Smoke tyres. Accesorized it with blue aluminum valves, blue screws, a silver bottle holder and a blue aluminum bottle. Ah, and I installed new silver quick releases as the original ones (which I have) are not in good shape. I also had to buy a Tektro cable hanger as I didn't find the Kona one.

Here it is :

IMG_20221216_134354223.jpg

Hello,

My turn : a 1996 XS Kona Lava Dome. Some components were changed (fork, stem, headset, seatpost, saddle, tyres) by the previous owner when I bought it and I wanted something more like the original. It was difficult to find exact original components, but it's better now, I've found a 1990 Project Two Joe Murray Edition fork, original Velocity stem, Impact headset, Selle Italia Expedia saddle, a modern aluminum seatpost (but same color and accurate dimensions). And I chose the classic Dart and Smoke tyres. Accesorized it with blue aluminum valves, blue screws, a silver bottle holder and a blue aluminum bottle. Ah, and I installed new silver quick releases as the original ones (which I have) are not in good shape. I also had to buy a Tektro cable hanger as I didn't find the Kona one.

Here it is :

View attachment 687877
Lovely! It is really hard to find original Kona cable hangers for the P2 -- presumably a lot of those were trashed when people rushed to install suspension forks. I've also used a Tektro one on a build which works fine but lacks the cool Kona design (and logo).

My ´93 Explosif before I sold it. My attempt at an "OEM+" build: Added XTR front hub/FD and Flite saddle. I also tweaked the decal colours, always thought Kona just re- used left over decals from years before and just slapped them on frames with clashing paint scheme.
_DSC0240_.jpg

Back