Kona vs Saracen - halp me Retro-bike Kenobi

TomvanHalen

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I currently have this '97 Kona Koa, which is excellent fun

I have the opportunity to purchase this '96(?) Kili Comp frameset

I only have room for one mtb, and as far as I can tell, the Saracen weighs up as follows.

Pros:
- Decent steel. Tange MTB(??)/Prestige DB tubing, Ritchey dropouts
^ - tougher construction
^ - better ride (?????)
- Better fit for me (1" longer TT, 2" longer ST, 2.5cm longer HT)
- Quite classy

Cons:
- Heavier (probably)
- Even shorter forks (385 vs 400 as best as I could tell)
- Forks maybe not as good as P2s (though I don't have the triple butted)
- Not outrageously orange
- Not a Kona

Out of all of this, the fact that I would feel happier with the fit running a shorter stem and slighter wider bars, and the steel construction (and possible resulting toughness and ride quality) are most swaying me. But I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially as I can't directly compare the frames myself unless I rebuild

Re:

It's a toughie! There's those who swear by both brands.. I've personally never ridden or Owned a Saracen but am quote fond of them in general, I have rode, bought and sold no less than 10 Konas though over the years :)

The Kili is from a good period for the brand and is certainly a nice enough blend of tubes but will definitely ride diffently to the Kona, being steel for one. The rigid forks seem to have a good reputation and are quite hard to come by so I would not be too put off by them.

Is there any chance to do a quick build and try it out? I'm sure that you wouldn't have too much trouble moving one on once a decision be made (or not, as others on here will testify) ;)

I had the same Saracen frame in my teens with a pair of Pace RC35's and mainly XT, loved it. Swapped it for for a GT Pantera, wished I'd kept it :( Buy it, build it the way you would as if you knew you were keeping it and then decide. You can always make room for one more bike!

It's definitely starting to lean that way. I still find the comparatively small gap between front wheel and downtube odd though.

Back