Kona seatpost sizes

Baulz":2hwsvbih said:
I thought about doing that. How far down does the shim go? To the toptube junction or not that far? I worry as I have long legs, so use a 400mm post close to min insertion.

It'd just reach the top-tube junction I'd guess. Not really far enough.

Shims are generally 10cm, which means only a cm below the bottom of the Kona weld. That may be just enough, but it would be better if it was a cm more. I think the point is that welding damages, as in permanently weakens, the area of the tube that has been heated. So a 9cm shim/post insertion creates an axis just at the point where the tube is weakest. 10cm may be ok, but only just.

Strangely, some Kona posts have min insertion marks at 15cm and some at 10cm. 15 seems way too much, whereas 10 may be only just enough.

Tom, I apologise for misleading you over the 27.0. The great Sheldon says 26.6 for both 94 and 95 Cinder Cones, but I had made a note that somebody had reported it was really 27.0. Clearly that was wrong and Sheldon is vindicated, not for the first time.

No problem Anthony. My fault for not measuring and hoping it was a more conventional 27.0.

I'll get some pics up on the Kona's page when I've finished fettling it. Got some original Bonti rim\LX\Kona Racelight wheels on the way along with Sugino crank. Will be stripping cleaning and rebuilding once all parts are assembled.

I've a print out of an Excel file that I downloaded from Kona website many years ago, which list some basic details (colour, UK price, seatpost size, botom bracket details, headset size) of all Kona frames up to 1999.
Anyhow, the 94 Cinder Cone is listed as 26.6, so confirms the findings others have made.

Cheers,

Could you email the file and I'll put it up on Google spreadsheets for all. Or even better if you do it saving me the hassle :)

Back