Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Salsa Warbird 2 (a different crack at it) p.7

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure (Done, Images p.4)

shutter":2hrn6mmy said:
Awesome Build! I got the idea for the decals on my Hei hei from your Rove =)

cheers to that! it looks great and understated at that.

Re:

Some consideration.

As much as I love riding my Ti Rove, the more I train in environments similar to Mauna Loa the more I believe the 'road' bike ain't gonna cut it. Even though it's capable of almost anything I can throw at it at the moment sometimes the rocky roads and super steep ascents scream for some more aggressive geometry, wide straight bars and thicker boots.

In other words: Wouldn't it be wiser to plan my dreamt ascent of the Mauna Loa vulcano on Kona with a proper MTB? The newly released Kona Honzo is well on my list of must have,s after craving for a 29er for very long (maybe the real hype had passed but my lengthly 1.96M body begs for it), yet never really caving in.

It's hard for me to make the right equation. Maybe you guys can help me out. Maybe I'm just begging for someone to give me the confidence to do it. What gear to pick (the honzo has a 1x drive only, allowing super short chain stays which in turn deliver a superbly climbing friendly ride), what tires to run, what weight to strive for (it has a gorgeously modern cro-moly frame) and thoughts about running it rigid (Have a p2 29er fork laying around)? And lastly, I've been informed by Kona, that they're well on their way of releasing the Honzo in a 3/2.5 Lynskey ti version. Perhaps, well worth the wait?

too many questions for me to decide. Please help me out in this decidedly non-retro debate. in short: what is the best climbing tool for a 70Km 7% mixed terrain ascent?

Attachments

• honzo.jpg
    honzo.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,167

Or go for the Salsa Fargo

Or make a 26" monster cross :cool:

Attachments

• MX1_rs.jpg
    MX1_rs.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,152

Neil G":1k4jvn25 said:

I know.. I've built one for a customer and ever since I've been envious of his machine (yes, that even happens to a bike shop owner). The fargo is such a balls out all-terrain ripping machine. Would you own a fargo alongside a gravelracer? I suppose with 100mm of suspension (like the new models are sporting) it becomes an interesting prospect. One bike for the road/gravel and another one for anything rougher even the petty mountain we come across in Belgium and France. Bearing in mind that im currently training for several (+300m a day) ultra-endurance events it starts to make sense. Do you think there is much difference is there in geometry between the touring-focused Fargo and a trail-inspired hard tail like the honzo?

parfumisme":19ejpezb said:
Neil G":19ejpezb said:

I know.. I've built one for a customer and ever since I've been envious of his machine (yes, that even happens to a bike shop owner). The fargo is such a balls out all-terrain ripping machine. Would you own a fargo alongside a gravelracer? I suppose with 100mm of suspension (like the new models are sporting) it becomes an interesting prospect. One bike for the road/gravel and another one for anything rougher even the petty mountain we come across in Belgium and France. Bearing in mind that im currently training for several (+300m a day) ultra-endurance events it starts to make sense. Do you think there is much difference is there in geometry between the touring-focused Fargo and a trail-inspired hard tail like the honzo?

just checked the geo-graphs, (much) shorter chain-stays, (much) longer front -center (68° HT angle), and smaller head tube for the honzo makes it quite a different bike imo.

Hey Jacob,

About the Rove Ti. Buy it and never regret it.

I ride it off-road in the Begium cyclocross scene and I thoroughly love it.
I have two sets of wheels (see page 1) which makes it easy to switch between faster/on-off/road/racing
and slower/muddy/off/road/touring.

The geometry is something of a pickle though. This had me looking at other frames before committing to this.
Such as the Salsa Warbird or Lynskey Procross disc. In the end I really dig the option of running 40mm tires, low(ish) BB and am actually not that bothered by the slower feel of the longer wheelbase as it is mostly just a feeling rather than actually being slow! I did however buy a relatively small size (59) for my length (194 cm) which gives me a more racy position (saddle>bar drop is 15+cm) than most customers I fit to this bike. This is all purely subjective though, but it's something to consider keeping your specific use in mind.

Let me know whatever you decide as I'm curious to hear others about it! That Raijin is killing!!

Re:

Last long & lonely ride of the year. scrambling around 13.000km this year.
Those digits should go up, with more altitude meters to boot in order to get ready for Hawaii in 2015.

Here I'm rocking the Revelate Tangle frame bag with a lot of food and some extra clothes as I was riding into darkness and the new year. Love that thing..

Also the new wheels are fabulous. The white industries cld hubs are a true treat. This wheel set (whether it's due to the dt aerolite spokes or str grail rims i don't know) is markedly stiffer and smoother when up at speed.

Attachments

• _DSC1049 copy 2.jpg
    _DSC1049 copy 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,023
Re:

Hey guys,

I've seen many threads of peoples beloved bikes. And I really love when someone goes to great length and substantial effort (some 'WD-pro' comes to mind) with their bikes and and it pulls trough.

Now, to my great sadness my titanium frame broke. The NDS chain stay developed 3 (deep) longitudinal cracks around the circumference of the tube. (pictures coming up) After less than one year in business without any real luggage but only hard riding I never expected this un-godly material to give in so quickly. Kona ensured me it hasn't happened before to any of their frames and is probably a production error of some sort. (any of you know what could have caused such a stress fracture?) I am also ensured by it's lifetime warranty and I'm pretty sure the guys at lynskey will get it right this time. But something crept up inside of me. I've ordered an aluminium Salsa Warbird frame that should keep me rolling and training for Kona. At least until the frame gets send back.

I've tried/tested one before and think it may even be a little lighter/stiffer/snappier which does suit my position and riding style on the bike. If I decide to keep it, does anyone consider it a serious downgrade from Ti? The un-godly material that apparently can fail :?: :oops: :shock:

Attachments

• salsa-warbird-bt-1.jpg
    salsa-warbird-bt-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 981
Back