kona P2 AC lengths and threaded to threadless questions

bold stelvis

Kona Fan
Kona gurus:

A couple of questions:

what year did Kona change the 26" P2s from 410AC to 440AC? (I know the earlier pre 94 ones were 395)
what year did they go threadless?

if anyone has any 410AC threadless P2's with enough steerer left to suit a 19" frame (so guessing >200mm) they would be willing to flog me, please DM :)

a bit of googling catalogues suggests 97 for move to threadless?
still interested in what year they changed the fork length
Wiser people will no doubt come along later, but I bought some aftermarket P2s in late 2002 that were 410s. Visually, I think the first ones with longer a2c had the (in my eyes) ugly adaption with about an inch or so of steerer below the crown race, so way above the natural join of the fork legs.

I have some 2004 ish P2s in 410. 440mm must have come in around the same time. Ahead came in around 1996 I think.

My P2s have never been on a bike since they were painted :rolleyes: I really should move them on, but with a 230mm steerer, where will I find another pair?

Splatter paint - yeah I get that - however if you change your mind... :)

lots of P2s around but most of them seem to be either threaded or too short (makes sense I guess since by the time threadless became a thing the vast majority of bikes probably came with suspension forks)

I may end up just sticking with threaded anyway, though it does limit experimenting with bars to a much greater degree due to limited choices with quill stems and I do fancy trying some different things out.

the other thing that seems to be very difficult to find (and this I don't get as there should have been lots of smaller framed bikes with shorter stems sold) is 1 1/8" quill stems that are shorter than 120 and don't totally suck.

I’ve got a set of 410 threadless fitted to my daughter’s 19” 92 Kilauea just now. It should have 395 tb threaded, I have a set of those too but haven’t got round to restoring them and swapping them out. Once I get round to it I’ll keep you in mind, if you still need a set I’ll be happy to let them go 👍. I might even let the bike go! She wants my 96 Kilauea 😂

I may end up just sticking with threaded anyway, though it does limit experimenting with bars to a much greater degree due to limited choices with quill stems and I do fancy trying some different things out.
Keep the threaded fork and fit a threaded to ahead adapter.

Then you can play around with ahead stems, while keeping an inch or so of vertical adjustment.

just for clarity - I don't actually HAVE a P2 fork yet of any variety. just planning :)

I have a set of pace RC31's around but 1. they are too short (some err buffoon -ie me - slammed them on my Klein which has a very short head tube) and 2. a kona needs P2s for sure

While I am aware of the adapters I guess I am sort of ideologically inclined to either go one route or the other and use the systems as intended. MOST of the adapted setups I have seen look a bit funky IMO (I will deffo make an exception for your build 90s Ninja - that looks awesome!)

I should probably just get over it :)

Latest posts

Back