Kona Misser replica 1997

Yep, slip of the keyboard and post corrected 👍 The RC was a donor part from a'98 Raven, so just about spot on. IF a suitable RX comes onto the market that doesn't cost a new mortgage then I'll be there in the queue 🥴
Annoyingly I had one in a slightly longer e2e for years that came off a Kona Stab I broke for parts, I sold it a few years back to pay for some parts I needed…

bike-024-jpg.58221

Remember this?

A bit of trial and error using Photopea and half an hour later...

YZtXyq.jpg

It's not perfect but it's more than fine with some final tweaks.

I spent this afternoon polishing the rear end and cranks...the results are, well, you'll see :cool:

OK, we've reached that time. Does anyone have any recommendations or reliable sources/guides on how to service and bleed Hope C1/2 brakes? I've raided Hope for the excellent exploded diagrams and various other sources, but any first hand insight from you is much appreciated 🙌

This does mean, if you hadn't guessed, that the rebuild is so far, going to plan and on track for it's debut showing at the Malverns in August.

Remove the wheel and pads and put a spacer between the pistons. take off the top cap and diaphragm after putting the lever level, attach a piece of tube over the bleed nipple, have a bottle of dot 5.1 handy and open the bleed nipple, squeeze and close the nipple before releasing (hopefully bubbles appear. Tap the Caliper with a small soft hammer and repeat while refilling the reservoir.
Once you get a solid lever (prob 4/5 cycles) top up the reservoir to just about overflowing and then add back the diaphragm carefully so as not to spill and replace the top cap
Clean Caliper and refit pads and wheel
These ones are really good when done right but awful when done wrong. If you have the closed system then wind the adjuster all the way back before bleeding

Long way back but were you looking for some of these?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Remember this?

A bit of trial and error using Photopea and half an hour later...

YZtXyq.jpg

It's not perfect but it's more than fine with some final tweaks.

I spent this afternoon polishing the rear end and cranks...the results are, well, you'll see :cool:

Well, well, well. After many hours and a bit of help, I've got a design I'm happy with. Fingers crossed Gil can print it.

VTmsKk.png

This does mean, if you hadn't guessed, that the rebuild is so far, going to plan and on track for it's debut showing at the Malverns in August.

This statement holds up. A big milestone was reached today: we have gears and an operational drive-train and so I took my first spin around the block on the weapon 👍 Here's a sneak peak.

VOGSc3.jpg

That leaves the funkin' brakes. After stripping the pair I had from the Intense, it was clear that they are absolutely fooked with only a few bits and pieces that could be useable. So I've been collecting C2 pro and sport levers, and callipers, so I can cobble together a pair that will look decent and most of all, work properly. New seals just arrived with new pads arriving next week. That leaves next weekend to finally get them fitted as I'm away the following week, then it's the Malverns where I'll have some time to give it it's final polish and add the finishing touches (plus a few final surprises).

We're almost there...I hope... 🤣🫣

Perhaps the most useful YT video I've seen in a long time.

The good news is, now we've inspected of all the parts and spares gathered, there's enough to make a decent pair of operational C2s. I think Stuart is still coughing up centuries old brake fluid and dried grease from last night's workshop session bless him 🙌

Don't be surprised if you find me and the Kona gang huddled over it next weekend, cursing, covered in brake fluid 🤣 Here's hoping it'll be ready at some point during the weekend...

Malverns Classic 2024. What a long weekend that was! My write-up is here.

Full glamour shots to come but in the meantime, here's the weapon in it's final form. Yes, after 4 and half years, it's done*

If you happen to spy any other pictures of it on social media and the like, please let me know 🙌

* bar a few new or cleaner bolts and suitable piston seals that fit

Latest posts

Back