Kona Lava Dome 1996ish?

Motorhead

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have just started to get my lava dome back in service, I'm shocked to find its now "retro" I still think its pretty new!
Mine is the burnt orange colour which I've had since new, sometime in the 90's its a bit of a blur back then.

So I started buying bits thinking it would all fit...DOH!

I bought some nice Rock Shox Reba SL Forks only to find the steerer was wrong.
I have a set of Shimano XTR Mountain Bike Disc Brake Set Front & Rear but looks like the back wont fit either?
Need some guidance before I f'up again

Cheers

The forks should fit the frame (both 1 1/8"), but it'll be the headset that is wrong. You will presumably have a threaded headset, while the forks with be threadless....

G

^^ What he said.

I put an FSA headset on my Lava Dome (from '95) to fit a set of forks. Very reasonable and good quality.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2217

Seems the black one isnt on offer anymore though, so you can shop around and get them for £25. I have the exploded diagram for these too should you get a bit stuck with the order of things.

That will take your reba forks ;) (I have some 2010 brand new Rebas waiting for my other build and one of these headsets too)

I have mixed and matched my brakes on mine like you may have to, kind of turning into a bit of a frankenbike really, but I like it! If you have any questions, just give me a PM and I will be happy to help.

Dan

Newe forks had Steerer: Aluminium, 1.5 - 1 1/8" 250mm long.
The lava dome needs 1 1/8, the headset was threaded but im hoping I just buy a non threaded headset and some 80mm forks and new handle bar clamp thing....

I will know what Im doing by the end of this...its half the fun.

Im also looking for aq bike stand if anyone knows the best place to get one of those

welcome at the Kona comunity :)

seems that you have a 96 Lava Dome (colourwise it looks like) - you can check it easily when you visit the "Gallery & Archive" here and look for the Kona brochure from that year.

regarding the front fork - everythings said by unkleGsif - when yours is the OE kit of fork (rigid) and headset, then its a threded system in 1 1/8". If you want that Rock shox fork you need to replace that headset with a non threaded one too. But bear in mind that in 96 Konas are designed to take sus forks with arround 60mm travel and that Reba has (80-100 mm?) of travel which will alter the geometry of the whole bike in a different direction.

the brakes are of canti type, I guess ? now you want to use V's - right ? should be no problem at all, when you are using the entire system of XTR V levers and brakes, so where you are facing difficulties ?

Where are you based? You might be able to ask someone nicely to give you a few pointers in person!

Your bike cant take discs out the back - sell them and buy some nice V brakes - a lot cheaper!

Good luck and keep asking the questions - we like to help.

Thanks for the help...I'll get some pics up.

Theres no way the forks I bought will fit the bottom of the steerer is 1.5"
I may buy another frame that fits the tapered forks for the misses

Im in the Aberdeen area.

Spending that much money on an old Lava Dome might not be such a hot idea. Your shopping list is already:

1 1/8 headset
1 1/8 stem
spacers
1 1/8 fork
disc wheels
disc brake adaptor / frame modification for disc mount / hose guides
Brake bleed kit + olives (to shorten the hoses)

The Lava Dome was a low end model, you might consider keeping it retro and buying a second bike or building up a new bike starting with the parts you've already bought.

SP

oh, should have read more carefully that you want to disc'd it :oops: no way you can use disc on the back without major mods - front disc. and rear V's would be an option, but I dont like that setup.

OK, the Lava Dome frame is not high end stuff, but also not rubbish - would suggest, keep it as it is and enjoy riding. Sell the stuff you have allready and if you really want a more modern bike, get yourself a new or used one. Good luck.

Back