Kona Kula mystery - Kona experts stand up!

Re:

My 2007 Kula Supreme serial starts H7JH followed by 5 numbers. Weight is 1380g for a 19". Since it is scandium maybe it was made in a different place to the Easton and 7005 alloy frames, hence the different serial number style?

SP

Re:

I'm starting to think it may be a 2006 Kula Deluxe. Have found these pictures and the head tube and the rear dropouts seem to match, as does the red/blue colour scheme - apart from the last pic - but perhaps there were two colour options?

Attachments

• 2006-kona-kula-deluxe.jpg
    2006-kona-kula-deluxe.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2,763
  • p4pb813610.jpg
    p4pb813610.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,763
  • pbpic1766074.jpg
    pbpic1766074.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,764
  • HPIM1298.jpg
    HPIM1298.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,763
  • KonaKula2.jpg
    KonaKula2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,763
Re:

Well - another update after some revealing news.

I now know why the frame was repainted. Just got these pics through from the shot blaster...

Apparently the dents (and these are not all of them apparently) were filled with filler and then sprayed over. I could go the same way and get it painted as powdercoating is out of the question. But, I have a feeling that the integrity of the frame is now in question.

Any thoughts/advice?

Bit miffed to be honest as I have a slowly increasing stack of parts ready for a build that may now not happen at all....

Re:

Got the frame back and have a much better idea of what is what.

Firstly, the identity of the frame. On the seat post there is a clear Easton logo stamped and the word Ultimate just below it. Combine that with a clearer serial number (F210K0691 3I-50) and I'm pretty sure it's a Kula Deluxe 2006. Weight of frame in raw aluminium is 1476 - nice and light!

Now onto the damage. The bloke at the powder coaters managed to really worry me yesterday with his call and quick picture. In reality, it's not as bad as I thought. Yes there are two big dents and what looks like a repair. The biggest dent on the seat tube is about 1.5" x1" and probably about a quarter of an inch deep at it's worse point. But no cracks at all. There is evidence of a repair on the down tube but no visible cracks so the repair looks good.

Aside from the 3 grouped dents/repairs, there is just one ding on the top tube which is expected of used frames. Looking at the grouping of the dents perhaps there was a crash and the crank and rings were twisted? or a rock got wedged between frame and chain ring? who knows...

I guess the question is what to do with it? I think I am comfortable that the damage is not catastrophic and the frame should be okay for singletrack usage. I'm tempted to put some decals on it and get it lacquered and leave it as is. That way it shows it's scars and I can also keep an eye for any cracks or signs of fatigue around the damage. If it starts to crack I can make a decision and get a new frame.

Any thoughts or experience? Also, would appreciate any of the Kona experts confirming my model/year assumptions from the info posted.

Rich

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,710
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 2,709
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,709
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,709
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,709
Re:

I'm sad to be the one to break the news, but I'm not too sure that I would be trusting an alu frame with a seat tube dent of that magnitude, especially in a stress spot. It is your frame, but I'd start looking for another. :cry:

Re:

I agree with the posts above, alu just can't be trusted anymore when it's been deformed like that.

The question is not IF it will crack, but WHEN ... and how bad the end result will be.
We're talking alu after all, so you'll get little to no warning before it suddenly goes.

Back