Kona Impact head set query

harleysteve08

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I have an impact headset missing the lower race, does anyone know if these can be got or is it possible to fit loose balls (excuse the expression!)

Failing that, has anyone got one or know of a good replacement. I am keeping the P2's and velocity stem.

Thanks

I'd buy any good quality ahead headset and fit the complete lower assembly (lower cup, bearing plus fork crown race). It's the lower set that takes a beating and good modern ones have much better seals.

Take care though that the new lower part doesn't have a greater stacking height than the Impact - if it was significantly higher, your steerer might not be long enough.

You can fit loose balls and it will be fine. You may need one or two extra if you fit them loose though, but your lbs will probably be able to just give you a couple. I did this on my impact headset and I think it ran smoother than with caged bearings.

Make sure you use a good quality bearing grease too, Castrol LM is good and cheap at Halfords. Helps the balls stay in place when fitting them loose too.

Thanks, I might have a go at fitting loose balls as I'd like to keep it as original as I can and it's going to get an easy life' appreciate your comments, all the best.
Steve

Back