Kona Hot - Isle of Wight

Hi. It’s really a hot (it’s mine), I bought it from the 2nd owner, but I also know the first owner. I was working at the Bike Shed in Exeter and met the first owner at the time. It had been donored to a cannondale full suspension super v-something at the time and many of the parts were Coda as they have been swapped, they the high end stuff that was still on it being the bits that would not fit the cannondale (seat post, front mech, forks).
Ah hi mate, glad your on here!

Be good if went from a Retro Biker to a Retro Biker 🥰

If I hadn’t just found a King Kahuna frame i’d be all over it and probably already on a ferry to the IOW..

I still really want a Hot but now is not the right time 😞

The brake stop might be original, on the Hot serial number list all of the similarly "HT0..." numbered bikes are mentioned as having a rear brake stop. Obviously it would be nice if it had original paint and decals, but I think it looks great, those decals look better than most reproductions. Any idea what the original colour was?

perhaps the stop is orginial then, I used to know more about it, but time has passed and I have forgotten things. There was some discussion over the Teesdale vs Altitude Cycles thing, but I seem to remember people on here felt it must be a 1996, and must be an altitude one. Think the original colour was a something fancy, but again it’s been year 20 years since I bought it and talked to the previous owners.

Ah hi mate, glad your on here!

Be good if went from a Retro Biker to a Retro Biker 🥰

If I hadn’t just found a King Kahuna frame i’d be all over it and probably already on a ferry to the IOW..

I still really want a Hot but now is not the right time 😞

Yeh it would be great if it went to me 😂

I actually like the current colour and decals but I’m a stickler for period correct.

Would sit nicely next to my Hei Hei now I’m a Kona fan

He’s just shared the serial no with me it’s: HTO104

So I think it’s a HOT but again I’m not an expert on the serial numbers like many on this site

It's an early 1996 Altitude model. The tell-tale apart from the SN are the goat-head drop-outs.

To be clear, 96's didn't come with canti-bridges as standard.

If that's the genuine SN it makes it the earliest recorded production Altitude Hot on record.

Remember, all the Hot details are here.

The pricing is ambitious but the market will decide 👍

Last edited:
It's an early 1996 Altitude model. The tell-tale apart from the SN are the goat-head drop-outs.

To be clear, 96's didn't come with canti-bridges as standard.

If that's the genuine SN it makes it the earliest recorded production Altitude Hot on record.

Remember, all the Hot details are here.

The pricing is ambitious but the market will decide 👍

What would you say the frame is worth alone?

What would you say the frame is worth alone?
Before anyone gets twisted, this is my opinion. We've all got them ;)

Even with the quality of the respray and period correct decals, it's not original. If originality if your thing, then those buyers will look elsewhere. I do think that impacts the price, but not quite as much as more recent resprays/recommissions.

It's a popular size and a very early Altitude production model. That adds a little to it's mystique.

Frame only, £350-450.

Before anyone gets twisted, this is my opinion. We've all got them ;)

Even with the quality of the respray and period correct decals, it's not original. If originality if your thing, then those buyers will look elsewhere. I do think that impacts the price, but not quite as much as more recent resprays/recommissions.

It's a popular size and a very early Altitude production model. That adds a little to it's mystique.

Frame only, £350-450.

Similar numbers to my un-educated thoughts. I’d like an original paint one but they don’t come up often enough to be picky.

If I managed to get it the respray and decals would add £200-250 onto that price it’s starts to get a bit high after that.

Latest posts

Back