Kona Explosif '94 Single Speeded/Now Geared Before Sale!

p3tester

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked this 94 Green Explosif up off Ebay a few weeks ago for not a bad price - totally original but very tired and the seatpost was stuck....really stuck!!!

Totally stripped, saving what bits were worth hanging onto...frame, forks, stem, bars and surprisingly headset and BB.

After trying every mechanical option to remove the stuck post, I resorted to a vat of sodium hydroxide in a very high concentration and proceeded to dissolve it out.....

This did the trick but the combination of heat from the reaction and already poor pint resulted in a fresh powder coat for frame, forks and stem.

Had this done in a matt black at Derwent Enamellers (Derby). They turned it round in 3 days and what a fabulous job it was :) !!!

Since the bike purchase I had picked up a few nice bits and pieces to build up a nice light bike, with road work being its main use.

The results can be seen below, hope you like.....I do, its really quick!!!

Spec...

Frame - Kona Explosif 1994
Forks - Project 2
Stem - Kona Velocity
Headset - Kona Control Centre
BB - UN73
Bars - Titec Ti
Levers - Paul (Neo Retro)
Brakes - Suntour XC SE
Cranks - Cook Bros
Chainring - TA Specialities (48T)
Post - USE
Seat - Flite Alps
Wheels - CK Classic/Mavic 517's, DT Swiss Spokes
Skewers - Ringle Holey Ti
Cog/Spacers/Tensioner - Surly (16T)
Pedals - DA 7800
Tyres - Conti Grand Prix

Attachments

• P1020206.JPG
    P1020206.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,839
  • P1020207.jpg
    P1020207.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,839
  • P1020212.jpg
    P1020212.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,838
  • P1020274.JPG
    P1020274.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,247
Check the avatar.... :LOL:

Spend most of my weekends ripping up and down dual carriageways on a TT bike.....

You gotta love a big gear ;)

p3tester":2fk21mpm said:
Check the avatar.... :LOL:

Spend most of my weekends ripping up and down dual carriageways on a TT bike.....

You gotta love a big gear ;)

Being a roadie myself, I should have spotted that..

:oops:

nice...ive done the same with my 'dale...with the gearing too.....it offers something different to a road bike, its light , quick and looks great......i like it!... :D

Back