Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: collecting

Ok time to update the thread with some build decisions. The story part is well underway but needs further investigation ;)

As mentioned, I usually have a clear picture of how the final bike will look, the colour scheme and the corresponding components. This was and still is much harder, balancing a good strong nod to it's heritage, the era, what works and what I'd like to ride. A combination of catalogue shots and influences spanning 97 and 98 with the few team shots available provided a really good push in one direction, but adding in practicality pushed it in another. For example, the M950 XTR BB was and still is shite. I'm not wasting money regardless if the team rode it or not.

It was that shot of Roland on the slime green Atom Bomb Z2's and the off chance of that picture posted on another thread and an off-hand comment I made about needing those forks and petec saying he had a pair, that has started the parts collection. I wanted to get the core components sorted, the drivetrain, the forks, the wheels and then everything else would come together. So after Pete and I chatted last week we agreed a deal and the following parts are heading their way east.

AhqLvD.jpg

UEPjnE.jpg

ZaTnqe.jpg

Alongside this, even thought he's not feeling tip-top, that man wadsy has pulled out the stops with a wicked pair of crossmax wheels. Why crossmax? Whilst searching for more influences and ideas, I stumbled on an article Kona ran a few years back with a familiar looking 97 model :D http://cog.konaworld.com/ti-tuesday-199 ... -commuter/

Ti-tuesday-dan-2568.jpg

Ti-tuesday-dan-2556.jpg

So, of the era and sporty. You can see that XTR M950 or the colour grey won't be playing a major role now. I figured to get a set of XTR hubs and 220/221 rims, would cost more than the frame and most of the core components. I do want to shower this build with high-end parts - it deserves it - but I draw line if it verges into silly money.

When I realised wadsy lives just over a mile from where I grew up, the trails I used to rinse on my shitty old Maverick, well, if that's not a sign to buy those wheels, then I don't know what else is. I'll be picking them up this weekend, and with that, budget dictates I'll start looking the next set of parts in September!

IMG_6355_zpslby2rhx4.jpg

As ever, thanks to everyone for your encouragement, suggestions and advice. Please keep it coming!

In all my years spent on different bike related forums there has been but a few topics/bikes (which I didn't own) where I got more excited to see new items and updates arrive than if it was my bike/topic. Yours, my good sir, is one of them! Keep it up!

Dare":y4cpes04 said:
In all my years spent on different bike related forums there has been but a few topics/bikes (which I didn't own) where I got more excited to see new items and updates arrive than if it was my bike/topic. Yours, my good sir, is one of them! Keep it up!

That's very kind of you to say so, thank you :)

So happy I could make a small contribution to this lovely project. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

p.s., dropping the parts in the mail at lunch time.

Loving those Bombers the colour looks perfect. I've very excited about how this turns out.

looking good so far - me likes :)

to finalize the RF theme, how about a RF stem and seatpost ?

waiting with interest for details regarding the history of the frame ;)

magas":1abad3y8 said:
looking good so far - me likes :)

to finalize the RF theme, how about a RF stem and seatpost ?

waiting with interest for details regarding the history of the frame ;)

Race Face and Konas certainly go nicely together.

Al, at least put the damn forks on so we can have a gander.

Just got an auto text from USPS... the parts have left London and heading for home. :D

Latest posts

Back