Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition - hens teeth

I used to have a pair of the metallic light green Z2s so they shouldn't be too hard to find a pair of. It's a pity I don't have them anymore because they were in really good condition when I got them and they might have been useful as a stop gap until you find the team forks. They didn't have fork boots though so they might need tracking down.

nice find :cool:

what size is it out of intrest? looks a bit small for you, more my size ;) :D

i always assumed the yellow blue kit was from 96' learn something new every day.
love this site for info and the knowledge of its members.

al-onestare":7ox8wo5n said:
I think you know when you've hit retrobike maturity when you become completely obsessed by unicorns; those bikes you never thought you'd see let alone own and ride. The 97 Caldera was one of those and I'm still in awe I'm fortunate to own a piece of Kona history very few folks will have the pleasure of enjoying.

Within this unicorn category and in part completely down to retrobike and wider community of fanatics that we are, there are bikes that we never even knew about that suddenly resonate with us. There's a story you might pick up and delve into or an archive picture from MBUK that you'd forgotten about. Before you know it, you're off and away scouring the world for one that you can get your hands on.

Then there's just a case of the planets aligning, and you have to clap the universe for being in the right place in the right time.

It's with that firmly in mind that I'm over the moon to share this, a genuine ex-team Kona Explosif 1997. And yes, like the 97 Caldera there's a heap of history behind this, the whole reason they exist and who's this could be. Once more we've got conflicting views and stories from those who were there at the time and those that have heard about them since. There's new leads to follow-up which I hope will provide more insight into this wicked, wicked frame.

There's also the small matter of building it up. This is going to be a slow burn because I know it's going to hurt the wallet. And brain hurts with the combination of trying to keep it period, trying to respect the pedigree it has (my skills are pitiful to what this is capable of) and trying to spec it as a rider: as all my bikes are. We don't have wall hangers in my garage.

So for now, here she is after a thoroughly good degrease and clean. Big thanks to Brian (H1v9a8c:cool: for making me super-happy and selling it and to Pip for his support, advise and knowledge. Let the epic thread begin!

I think this thread needs a bump while we wait for an update; hopefully resulting from Al’s inquiries.

It pleases me immensely that this frame has ended up with him; probably one of the more suited owners for this piece of history.

If this thread reveals as much as his 1997 Caldera thread did, then we may obtain some answers to rumours that have been around for too long now.

I am gagging to see this bike completed although I appreciate that it may take some time, as a period correct build seems to be Al’s plan.

Pip.

Right, bit of advice needed. I reckon the steerer isn't quite long enough here BUT I can swap the crown and steerer out on these can't I. Could someone confirm if that's possible, because colour wise it's as close as I can get to what I want.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marzocchi-federg ... SwARZXk0X7

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

al-onestare":9y63tu0i said:
Right, bit of advice needed. I reckon the steerer isn't quite long enough here BUT I can swap the crown and steerer out on these can't I.

Yes, I believe that you can swap the Slider and Stanchion assemblies onto another Crown and Steerer Tube assembly. I discovered this when I serviced those Marzocchi Super Fly Z.2 in black and silver that I showed you. I think this is probably your best option to get the colour that you require - just track down a longer Crown and Steerer Tube assembly at some point in the future.

I will say however that on these particular forks, the left hand Slider (as viewed from the front) looks like something is amiss towards the top - in that first picture on my monitor anyway..... or is that just some dirt?

Pip.

al-onestare":259u1dpc said:
Right, bit of advice needed. I reckon the steerer isn't quite long enough here BUT I can swap the crown and steerer out on these can't I. Could someone confirm if that's possible, because colour wise it's as close as I can get to what I want.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marzocchi-federg ... SwARZXk0X7

Yes, you can swap the crown/steerer, just find an old pair of z's :)

Mark

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adam_S":1h0ezs4z said:
Would this be what you're going to try and replicate?

jun-1997-roland-green-rides-a-bike-during-the-mountain-bike-world-cup-picture-id1397532

Adam, take a bow because this shot may just have inspired and kicked off the whole build. Watch this space :)

Back