Kona Cinder Cone 1997 retro rebuild project

siamesekatz

Kona Fan
Hi All,

Last week I managed to get hold of an 1997 Cinder Cone 19" for very cheap (like sub 50pounds), the guy I got it from didn't really have a clue as to what it was and could only tell me during our correspondence that it was blue and from the late 90's.

Any way I picked it up on Sunday much to my delight. I seems it was left in storage for a long long time.

The head set (diacomp ahead) was very loose but I was unable to tighten it at all, upon closer inspection and a lot of WD-40 it seemed it had completely rusted ad would have to be chucked out.

It had been upgraded to mostly Deore XT and had only very few of the original parts.

Anyway here are some pics after giving a bath.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I've since stripped it down completely and will start to rebuild this weekend. I've got to replace the BB and crankset (shimano crap that looks like it came off some thing real cheap) and of coarse the even more crappy broken plastic pedals will have to go. :shock:

main.php

Also being a 97 model it was supposed to come with V brakes and thus does not have the kona dog collar, so in order to get the cantis to work they added some cheapy cable hanger which will have to do for now till I can get a proper one .
main.php

My dad will send me some new old stuff he has stored and my bro has some other things so looks like i wont have to spend much more to have this awesome bike good as new and on the road again. :D

Also I have a question about the fork and hope some one can give some advice.
The bike came with black 1998 P2 fork with 3cm long 1" (or so) shim inserted so as it would be long enough for the stem to clamp on ( the stem looks like the orignal 1 1/8th ahead and had another shim inside) -- see attached pic of the steerer. Is this normal for the 19" konas? can this inner shim be extracted and inserted into a shock fork? I have a quadra 5 at home and is too short by just much and the shim is long ie its the same steerer length as the P2 minus the shim. Am I making any sense here?
main.php

At some point I'd like to have the frame resprayed maybe like the 1996 Cinder Cone, which in my mind is the most awesome colour to date.

Any way here are the specs of the bike as I got it

Frame: Kona Cinder Cone 19"
Fork: Kona P2 black 1998
Headset: Diacomp Ahead -will be replaced with a syncros threadless
Seat post: Kona Race Light
Stem: OEM Tahomma
Cranks: Shimano cheap crap - will be replaced with cook bros or syncros
BB: same as above - will be replaced with Shimano UN52
Front Derailler : STX
Rear Derailler : Deore XT
Brakes: Deore XT cantis
Shifters and Brake leavers: Deore XT rapid fire + break combo
Front Hub : Deore LX
Rear Hub: Deore LX
Rims: Mavic
Tires : Noname crap - will be replaced with Kona The Cleaner and Dirt from my old Hahanna
Bar: Specialized will be replaced with some thing at some time maybe
Barends : er... some thing junky will be replaced with X-lite stubbies I have.

Well thats it for now, I'll post more on Monday after a trip to LBS to get new cables and maybe a shock fork if I can get an old good one for cheap.

looking forward to it.

Well, I'd defo not bother with the shim nonsense and get yourself a proper set of P2s 1 1/8. I have spare one going...TB as well.

Also, get rid of the cantis as they were'nt standard. Avid V's were the factory spec but I run modern XTs and they work just as well.

Personally I'd keep the blue because it's a cracking colour.

That's a lovely colour and a bit of a bargain.

I'd agree with the post above; just get yourself some new forks.

Thanks for the replies,

So I take it that this shim in the fork is a non-standard thing, never seen any thing like it, using a shim to extend a 1 1/8th fork. Anyway I'll have to use the P2 as is for now.

I'll see if I can get some Vs the local bike shop has a bit of NOS in the back that I can maybe get for cheap.

Being in South Africa its quite hard to find things retro and old konas are pretty rare, I was really lucky to get this one at all and for soooooo cheap :D . Posting stuff from the UK makes stuff about 2x more expensive so I kinda have to find local solution for every thing. You guys on Retrobike are very lucky indeed. :D

Anyway hope you all have a good weekend

Hi all,

I havent posted any thing on my project since the day I got the Kona, well today I just got back from my Dads who very kindly gave me a heap of NOS he had at his house from back in the day when he had a small Cycle import company here in South Africa. Also I managed to get a Kona dog collar (94 style) from someone on the local bike forums so Im really stoked, goona start the build tomorow.

Here is a list of the new bits:

1x Cooks bros cranks - blue
1x Syncros Hardcore seat post - black
1x Syncros Hardcore handle bar - black
1x Syncros Cattleprod stem 110mm 0' rise - black
2x Syncros Hardcore stem 120mm 20'rise - red
2x Syncros chain rings - 46t &36t
1x Syncros Hardcore treadless headset - black
1x Cooks bros BB
4x Wave flow ti saddles
1x Sakae Ninja chainring 24t
4x ATI grips sets
1x X-lite stubbie bar-ends (used) black)
1x Crud catcher -black
2x packets of scott mathouser break pads
1x shimano HG chain
1x park freewheel cleaner
main.php

In addition to all that awesome stuff I also got load of new-ish tiers which I didnt take a pic of .....yet
3x Conti Leader Pro
1X Conti Competition pro
2x conti country
1x Tioga Psycho
1x Michelin transalp
2x Tioga mud dauwg
1x panaracer smoke lite
1x panaracer dart
1x conti avenue semi slick

So looks like Im just about set , All I need now is a proper fork, I found a Judy SL that some one on the local bike forum will send me for not very much so it looks like by the end of the week I may have an awesome retro bike to ride to work and take on back to Asia with me when I save enough to return - which is the main reason for the project.

Rscabrio":vapbw4y2 said:
Why rip ? Lost me now lol

Check out the thread (see below).

I'm on a '96 at the mo. I still have the 97 frame and when I'm rich I'll get it repaired.

Back