Kona Caldera 1997

Re: Kona Caldera 1997 - unicorn scenes

The parts continue to arrive. You can't beat old rubber. Well you can, but you know what I mean ;)

JxK3aN.jpg

Minor update and some detailing. Apologies in advance for the phone quality pictures.

After investing in a proper stand last week, I was able to get the cranks, bottom bracket and forks off with no major issues other than a few swear words. Whilst the cranks were after-market, they were utterly shit and welded onto the BB, which was also pretty rusted up.

vCNpWA.jpg

However, even with a brief inspection, it's all good. Now free of all it's kit, the frame over Christmas will get a thorough clean up with lots of TLC. I will try and weigh it, bearing in mind I don't have any proper scales.

kFNnwG.jpg

By no means exact, I noticed that on feel and balance, it felt a little more rear heavy than the Explosif and Kilauea. I thought that was surprising seeing how dainty the stays are. Maybe it's just me. That said, it's still a lightweight.

I'm no aficionado on Mountain Goat's and not much better with Kona's but I was interested in how the rear-drop outs are put together. Unlike the slotted ones on the Explosif and Kilauea (and in later Kona models), these appear to be welded and slotted i.e. slotted on the horizontal stay, welded on the diagonal. I've no idea why. I'm curious if that's normal.

8Zqhc2.jpg

msHCC3.jpg

hVHeIO.jpg

In build news, the forks arrived. For colour complimentary purposes I think they work, so more of them later on. The new front mech should be with me later this week. That leaves just a few odds and sods: BB, grips, cables and pedals.

Looks good friend.
Mine is not in such good condition. It is quite beat up.

I am looking for a P2 TB ahead fork for it.

12362763_10207902247011599_87357120623245956_o.jpg

12339091_10207902249131652_8630858783297951161_o.jpg

12363224_10207902249531662_4988779997722932348_o.jpg

Interesting dropouts indeed! ...what grips are you planning on using?

I think these would suit it!

;-) I have something nice, potentially coming my way - cheers all the same Ben

konaben82":22v1n7te said:
no worries...I'm still itching to find out what it cost you!!

Seek and ye shall find ;-)

I think this is the final bit of the story-telling for now. How did this unicorn get into my garage?

Like many, I have searches set up in ebay - in the US, UK, German and other versions. It's broad and you need to spend a bit of time sifting through the crud. On the US site, this ad popped up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-Kona-Caldera ... 1916659481

I couldn't believe my eyes. Instinctively I thought it was a respray and had incorrect decals applied. But even on first view, you could see it was genuine: right colour, right forks, wheels, decal placement, etc. The pic's weren't the best quality:

woApxh.jpg

q1y3MI.jpg

jHvYoe.jpg

njsa5d.jpg

0PRw7O.jpg

I saw the ad at about 10:00 GMT. The bike was being sold by this store http://pedalpowerct.com/

So I had to wait until around 17:00 before I could ring them up. I couldn't purchase it immediately through the BIN function because the store wouldn't ship it outside the US. So I wanted to move very quickly on it. An email conversation wouldn't do.

I spoke with the store, explained that I wanted to buy it immediately and to agree the best way to get it to the UK: via a friend in the US or directly shipped to me. They needed to get the person who managed their ebay store to call me back so they took all my details.

I didn't get a call that evening, so after a patchy nights sleep, I rang them again the next day in the early evening. This time I spoke with the right person and tried not to scare him off with my eagerness to close the deal. In all fairness he and the store were great and we sorted out the payment, including shipping to my mate in Brooklyn. I paid what you saw on the ad; they didn't try and up the price.

Only after payment was made, did I gently explain why a random bloke from the UK was so keen to purchase a 18 year old bike. They were just pleased it was going to a good home. I asked if they knew anything about how it came to them. It was a simple trade in...I couldn't resist a comment along the lines of "well I'm glad it's coming to me, but that was a mistake by the owner!"

Since I was buying it from a bike store, they knew exactly how to pack it. You may have seen the horror story of my Kilauea last year, so even though they re-assured me it would be packed properly, the next 10 days were a nervous wait. When my pal took a few snaps before the next stage of it's journey from Brooklyn to the UK, and shared them with me, only then could I breath a little easier.

Once again, I used Fed-ex. It's a little pricier than the others but it's dead easy to organise and so far the service has been excellent.

It's hard to put a value on a bike like this. All I know is that the sum I paid and the sum I had in my head for what I'd be willing to pay including shipping, was much, much less. I'm very happy :mrgreen:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Wow, I wish my unicorn was at that price level. It goes to show though that a unicorn doesn't have to be boutique, just desirable.

Nice ending/beginning! :D

Back