Kona Caldera 1997

Re: Re:

flyingdutchmen":1qp9ckc1 said:
The serial number is, CA 1309144. I am not 100 % sure about "09", but I think the rest is right.

:?:

Errrr...

:?:

Well I not doubting your eyesight but let's just say I hope the 13 is actually 96 :LOL:

pipmeister":1qp9ckc1 said:
.....The only part of that serial number that makes sense to me are the digits that are "not 100 % sure about" :?: i.e. "09".

I reckon "CA" looks good, then "13" isn't a year that fits, then "09" is presumably September, but finally "144" is surely to high a figure :?:

I'm going with the assumption of this apparent 50 off batch production.

We love this stuff! So cumon then, who's gonna stick their neck out :LOL:

Well, I can only assume that IF it's really the 144th bike then that's the 3rd batch run IF they really did do 50 at a time. Add in that if we take Kona's word, they were batched for separate markets: US and Canada. How they ended up in Europe could be another reason for the odd SN format, perhaps a way to specify those.

Or whomever made that batch, probably some time after the first lot were made, didn't follow any format and just put on whatever they fancied. Who knows that was going on there at the time.

Aside to all this, it's just great to see one. As Kona said to me:

That was a really nice red.

:D Keep us posted knickering!

Re: Kona Caldera 1997 - unicorn scenes

Back to mine, this weekend she was taken apart. I need a new crank extractor tool (I forgot mine was knackered) so once that's off I'll have a better idea of weight. My thoughts are very much focused on the build now. It's going to be a mixture of tried and tested kit: a selection of my favourite gear that works whilst maintaining the 'of the era' look.

The Avid's as robust as they are, will go. No disrespect to any users of them, there're just not fit for this frame. XT M739 is my favourite, so a nice set of 'new' ones will take their place with the levers from the Kilauea.

The wheel-set is in really good shape: very straight, very true, with plenty of life left on the 221 rims. I'll retain those.

The out of place Sachs Quartz rear mech will go to XT M379 and if I can find a 28.6mm top pull front mech of the same, then that will take the place of the decent but meh LX version. The crankset will also swap over from the Kilauea (more XT M739) as will the rapidfire shifters.

The bars are wrong, so the Curve ones from the Kilauea will go on, as will with the excellent kevlar Flite.

The main challenge has been getting the right forks. I've got 2 options: 1 defo heading my way, 1 still being discussed with the seller. Either will determine some of the detail colour choices. This is going to be a rider so I need something tip top and decent.

al-onestare":2p8t3gsu said:
The out of place Sachs Quartz rear mech will go to XT M379 and if I can find a 28.6mm top pull front mech of the same, then that will take the place of the decent but meh LX version.

Might be able to sort you out there. I will check and come back to you.

firedfromthecircus":2xvyx417 said:
al-onestare":2xvyx417 said:
The out of place Sachs Quartz rear mech will go to XT M379 and if I can find a 28.6mm top pull front mech of the same, then that will take the place of the decent but meh LX version.

Might be able to sort you out there. I will check and come back to you.

That would be cool - needs to be tip top condition :D

Re:

Ok now I have the frame home in my workshop after a drive of 660 km.
The frame weighs 2 kg and 5 grams

its S / N is CA 9609144
so the frame is from 1996
September
number 144

Considering swap frame with an explosif 1997 18" Canuck has received the offer;) I await his response.
What is the frame made of? The catalog says Altitude heat treated cromoly. Wtf is that?
The catalog says it weighs 4 lbs = 1.8 kg and an explosif weigh the same. Does anyone know what an explosif in 18" weigh? "4 lbs is probably a 14 ince frame"

So my frame is for sure not a hot. Could not believe that a kona hot frame would weigh 2 kg.

Re:

Good man - This is now making a lot more sense, so I'm sure that Al will be pleased to read your post.

In answer to your question regarding the weight of an Explosif; according to my records my 18" 1997 Explosif was 2kg / 4.4 lbs when measured on my scales here.

You could follow the links on page 5 of this thread and read what Anthony wrote regarding the Hot and the Explosif.

Pip.

Just a :D "well done team" :D to all you that have had an input into this extraordinary and "cant get enough of" thread. :cool:

Thanks all

Ernie ;)

Re: Re:

knickering":s157do9t said:
its S / N is CA 9609144
so the frame is from 1996
September
number 144

As Pip says, that makes a lot of sense and we can best estimate that at least 150 were made. 50 each for America and Canada and who knows maybe 50 for Europe / the rest of the world. Whether that many ever saw the light of day and got out of the warehouse is another matter and one we'll never know the answer to.

Personally, swapping it for an Explosif is a non-starter but I know how much you want one. As many threads show, we'll do whatever we can to get the bike we really want. Plus, the grand hoarder himself get's to add another one to his mighty collection ;)

Parts are starting to arrive now. Last night's tea consisted of 18 year old M739 from Nottingham and Bosnia :cool:

hlxh5cjTj

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the read provided in this thread, but now I want to see some closeup photos of cleaned/polished frame and the assembly.

I have to mention Nikica (cybernck) in your topic; he provided me with some really low priced parts for my Brodie. I think everybody has had great experience trading with him as I did!

Dare":1zennn7x said:
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the read provided in this thread, but now I want to see some closeup photos of cleaned/polished frame and the assembly.

I have to mention Nikica (cybernck) in your topic; he provided me with some really low priced parts for my Brodie. I think everybody has had great experience trading with him as I did!

Patience my good man ;-) I've only just taken it apart!

And agreed on cybernck :)

Latest posts

Back