Kona Caldera 1997

Re:

We currently know of 3 Ku frames with the same identical format as H1v9a8c8’s – all presumably welded in 1996 for the 1997 range.

Without doing a search now, was it Kona who said to you in one of their replies that it’s possible that the tubing used for the Caldera was whatever was lying around or left over after Mountain Goat folded?

Maybe Reynolds 853 for mydryskull’s, while Brian’s appears to be Tange Prestige.

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":20b88180 said:
Without doing a search now, was it Kona who said to you in one of their replies that it’s possible that the tubing used for the Caldera was whatever was lying around or left over after Mountain Goat folded?

Maybe Reynolds 853 for mydryskull’s, while Brian’s appears to be Tange Prestige.

No, it wasn't Kona. It was a general sense and speculation in some of the previous discussions on this site about Hot's, Ku's and Caldera's; basically, what might have been going on at that time in Altitude.

For a time, I thought we were finally getting to a point of some sense and logic and quelling some of the theories. This 4th frame has poo-poo'ed that attempt.

It's certainly - for you and me at least and I suspect a few others :LOL: ;) - an interesting story!

Re: Kona Caldera 1997 - unicorn scenes

My apologies for a bit of hi-jacking here, but was this the end of U.S. production for the Caldera? And for that matter, all steel Konas?

From all the info here, and in other threads, I don't see who has built the '98s and '99s.

I'm asking because I bought a large lot of MTB stuff today, and a '98 Caldera frame was part of the booty.

Someone suggested that Enigma took over from Altitude, but there is a comment from one of the founders of Enigma saying they only made Hots and Kus. The '98 does not have the "made in USA" like the '97, and it has similar (but not the same) dropouts, with the Kona 'K' stamped on them instead of the Goat logo, and it's very light. Under 3 pounds for what I figure is a 17"

It's definitely not as rare as the '97, but it's still odd; in the catalog (which goes as most of them do, with the bikes getting less and less expensive as you go) the Caldera appears at the end, after the Hahanna, even though it costs twice as much.

aguycalled80":284ce5l1 said:
My apologies for a bit of hi-jacking here, but was this the end of U.S. production for the Caldera? And for that matter, all steel Konas?

From all the info here, and in other threads, I don't see who has built the '98s and '99s.

I'm asking because I bought a large lot of MTB stuff today, and a '98 Caldera frame was part of the booty.

Someone suggested that Enigma took over from Altitude, but there is a comment from one of the founders of Enigma saying they only made Hots and Kus. The '98 does not have the "made in USA" like the '97, and it has similar (but not the same) dropouts, with the Kona 'K' stamped on them instead of the Goat logo, and it's very light. Under 3 pounds for what I figure is a 17"

It's definitely not as rare as the '97, but it's still odd; in the catalog (which goes as most of them do, with the bikes getting less and less expensive as you go) the Caldera appears at the end, after the Hahanna, even though it costs twice as much.

This we can answer easily.

The Caldera was only a custom, hand made frame for the 1997 range. After that it became a generic butted chromoly effort, mass produced out in the east before shifting to a nasty aluminium nothing machine.

The 1998 version isn't particularly rare and in fact is exactly the same as the Cinder Cone that year. The only differences were the components.

The Kona machined drop out's featured on the majority of the mid-range Kona's that year for the first time, in response to the failures experienced on the older models. If you check out the pictures of MG drop-outs, they are quite different and not just the logo.

al-onestare":4i81j3mr said:
aguycalled80":4i81j3mr said:

This we can answer easily.

The Caldera was only a custom, hand made frame for the 1997 range. After that it became a generic butted chromoly effort, mass produced out in the east before shifting to a nasty aluminium nothing machine.

The 1998 version isn't particularly rare and in fact is exactly the same as the Cinder Cone that year. The only differences were the components.

The Kona machined drop out's featured on the majority of the mid-range Kona's that year for the first time, in response to the failures experienced on the older models. If you check out the pictures of MG drop-outs, they are quite different and not just the logo.

i had one of the orange 99 ones for a bit and it was a lovely steer. Not rare or interesting like the 97, but still a cracking bike

Hey Al,

In response to your quote:

"The 1998 version isn't particularly rare and in fact is exactly the same as the Cinder Cone that year. The only differences were the components.

The Kona machined drop out's featured on the majority of the mid-range Kona's that year for the first time, in response to the failures experienced on the older models. If you check out the pictures of MG drop-outs, they are quite different and not just the logo."

Don't take this personally as you know way more about Kona than I do but the 98 Caldera and Cinder cone had different dropouts to each other - I think the main frame was the same though, the Caldera had the slotted drop outs like the Kilauea and Expolsif from that year but the Cinder Cone had the older dropouts which weren't quite as thick as did the Lava Dome, Fire Mountain etc... Sorry to go off topic/hijack etc!!

98 Cinder cone:

Anyway, enough of that nonsense and back to drooling over your amazing find!
any more pics yet? :)

...and that does not make the 98 Caldera rare in any way... nice frames though!

konaben82":2or32u3u said:
Hey Al,

In response to your quote:

"The 1998 version isn't particularly rare and in fact is exactly the same as the Cinder Cone that year. The only differences were the components.

The Kona machined drop out's featured on the majority of the mid-range Kona's that year for the first time, in response to the failures experienced on the older models. If you check out the pictures of MG drop-outs, they are quite different and not just the logo."

Don't take this personally as you know way more about Kona than I do but the 98 Caldera and Cinder cone had different dropouts to each other - I think the main frame was the same though, the Caldera had the slotted drop outs like the Kilauea and Expolsif from that year but the Cinder Cone had the older dropouts which weren't quite as thick as did the Lava Dome, Fire Mountain etc... Sorry to go off topic/hijack etc!!

98 Cinder cone:

Anyway, enough of that nonsense and back to drooling over your amazing find!
any more pics yet? :)

You're absolutely right Ben - I've confused 98 with 99: 99 had the drop-outs 'as standard'. As you say, for 98 onwards, the Caldera was the same tube-set as the Cinder Cone.

cce":2or32u3u said:
i had one of the orange 99 ones for a bit and it was a lovely steer. Not rare or interesting like the 97, but still a cracking bike

Yep, the 99 colour scheme was decent - the colour a bit like the 98 Kula.

Meanwhile, back to 97, I'm digging deep into a few avenues to try and uncover some more nuggets of information. Watch this space for updates. I'll get to the bike at some point as well ;)

Back