Klein Steerer / Headset Question...

paddy01

Old School Hero
Please help a newbie who's brain has decided it's had enough for one day :D

I've recently refurbished my '95 Klein Fervor after 10 years of neglect / not being ridden.

The sussy forks I'd used (can't remember what they were) originally were seized solid and not worth rebuilding so it's back with the rigid forks it came with.

It's a fairly harsh ride for me just coming back to riding after a 10 year layoff so i'm looking to get some suspension forks but with it being a 1" steerer options are limited. I've posted in the Wanted section but have had another idea as well.

The stock forks are a 1" threaded steerer, the bike has a Richey headset (threaded obviously).

What I was wondering is if it's possible (change of headset?) to convert to a 1" unthreaded setup as there seems to be more options with a 1" unthreaded stem compared to 1" threaded?

Anyone able to advise?

Thanks,

Paddy

paddy01":2uby1srr said:
What I was wondering is if it's possible (change of headset?) to convert to a 1" unthreaded setup as there seems to be more options with a 1" unthreaded stem compared to 1" threaded?
With just a new headset (in fact you only need the upper half) you can fit a threadless fork.

How about a Flexstem though? You won't have to worry about changing the bike's geometry, you won't need a new headset, and you'll need a new stem anyway. Then when you toughen up again you can put the old stem back on...

one-eyed_jim":2ftvf3sn said:
paddy01":2ftvf3sn said:
With just a new headset (in fact you only need the upper half) you can fit a threadless fork.

How about a Flexstem though? You won't have to worry about changing the bike's geometry, you won't need a new headset, and you'll need a new stem anyway. Then when you toughen up again you can put the old stem back on...

Having recently snapped the Mission Control stem/bars (metal fatigue, honest!) :oops: I've already recently bought a new (ahead type?) stem and riser bars with a converter as the Mission Control was a quill style stem. The converter allows the ahead type stem to be mounted on the 1" threaded steerer tube.

I think I've found the answer from a company called Reset Racing which I believe is in Germany, it looks like they do a reducer for the steer tube so that I could then use a standard ahead type headset to take a modern 1 1/8th unthreaded fork stem.

I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm that though as much of the site is in German and my translation is dodgy at best :D

Many thanks,

Paddy

paddy01":2hfb49u5 said:
I think I've found the answer from a company called Reset Racing which I believe is in Germany, it looks like they do a reducer for the steer tube so that I could then use a standard ahead type headset to take a modern 1 1/8th unthreaded fork stem.
Doesn't sound right to me. The Reset reducer is to use a standard fork in an oversized (e.g. MC2) Klein head tube. Your head tube is undersized already. You can't run a 1 1/8" fork in a 1" head tube.

one-eyed_jim":25pi3oxe said:
paddy01":25pi3oxe said:
Doesn't sound right to me. The Reset reducer is to use a standard fork in an oversized (e.g. MC2) Klein head tube. Your head tube is undersized already. You can't run a 1 1/8" fork in a 1" head tube.

Ah. Blast. Hey ho, the search for a set of boingy 1" threaded steer forks continues :)

Thanks to all for the info / advice.

Paddy

...advice from the grey haired bunch

As a 'master' age mtb'er I grew up when headsets were 1", tyres were porcs and forks were manitou elastomers.

You WILL find 1" steerer suspension forks on ebay - rockshox judy's, pace rc35s, manitou. Manitou or judy's would be more age-authentic and will not raise your front end by too much. Use a threadless top headset bearing - not age authentic but I would use deore LX in your frame, which means you can replace the bearings without constantly taking the race housings out of your headtube, which is an issue with Klein frames.

With the pace rc35 (early versions with single rear brake bridge - not long travel) you can replace a 1 and 1/8 steerer with a 1" steerer just by phoning PACE and bolting in the new steerer into the existing crown - but check with PACE - or you can replace just the crown and steerer. In fact same with Judy's - ROCKSHOX still has 1" crowns and integral steerers in stock. Best of luck. Tim

Cheers for the info Tim, sounds like there's some options.. will keep the eyes peeled for some suitable forks, particularly those menition where changing the steerer is an option.

Back