Kirk Precision drop out

Re:

Hi Bryn..

Assuming you've tried Simon Haydn and got not response, like me...

I'm not sure if his machined ones are late Kirk original parts, or something he has had machined:

I drew this up for another RB member.

In my Dropbox there are two CAD versions, both IGS files., and some 3D pdfs to nose around.

The first one (Kirk Prec Dropout.IGS) is copied off the actual dropout.
The other (Kirk Prec Dropout Rev1.IGS) is altered a little to take account of making it from aluminium, and holding it on with a chainring bolt, rather than the original self-tapping screw.

I've left the edges sharp, though they could be rounded off. The derailleur hanger hole need to be cut with an M10 x 1 thread. I have a tap for this if needed, it is a weird extra fine thread.
If you do get any made from aluminium a spare one of the rears would be great ;) My original was made of plastic cheese and has split, but is still working.

Otherwise, you might look at rapid prototyping/3D printing. It wouldn't be able to do such a fine thread, but would be good to check the fit first, before cutting any metal.

Maybe Rampage/Intrincycle might want to add it to his retro widget business...

All the best,

Attachments

• 9zonWKA557IW1E1JrDnTsSa8Gv-BWprfd3sDy0Yzc0U.png
    9zonWKA557IW1E1JrDnTsSa8Gv-BWprfd3sDy0Yzc0U.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 14.38.00.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 14.38.00.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 326
Hello do you still have this files? (Your dropbox Link is dead)
I'm sorry to have attached this to this old thread, but after searching the internet for Kirk-related things, this seems to be the best place in the world for me to ask for some help with my Kirk.

The only thing I don’t have for completing my Kirk is the exact dimensions of the hanger or dropout for the front and rear deraileur.
Could you please help me out with the CAD Files or could you measure or make a sketch of these.

In around 1988 i got a Kirk race-bike frame from my dad, which he got direct at the Kirk factory. (we think it was a pre series part, but already white painted as the first editions. At that time My dad was working as a technical engineer at the factory which produced the die casting Machines that kirk used and Kirk ordered them as consultants because of the known problems with the production of the frames. (Kirks first poor quality mold could not stand the pressure of the machine an so the liquid magnesium sprayed out of the mold every 2 or 3 shots)
So it happened when i was around 20 i built my own Kirk bike with some (Quattro branded) Suntour parts from a accidented Bianchi bike. Everything was fitting very good but not the front derailleur because of the wrong clamping type. The other problem was the rear hanger which i built myself. Now nearly 30 years later i tidied up our basement and when i saw my Kirk i decided to give it a second chance. Meanwhile i've restaurated complete cars and motorcycles, and also have a 3d Printer and a small cnc milling machine, so i can make the missing parts.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back