King Kahuna build advice

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Evenin all.

With my 97 KK frame due to be delivered next week im racking my brains for ideas as how to finish the build off.

Im going to be using a semi-retro theme as the majority of parts I have so far are NOS 8 speed XTR and XT

I have modern a modern wheelset going on and probably modern stem,bar and post. What I really need ideas on are which chainset and forks should I use?

Im under the impression that my frame is set for 80mm fork geometry(?), but that 100mm can be gotten away with, which im likely to do as im a heavy rider and as a result tend to have more sag anyway.

Im also a bit confused as to the whole 8 speed/9 speed compatibility issue. Im certainly no expert but ive been told that most 9 speed chainsets will work with an 8 speed chain? this renders an 9sp XTR M952 chainset a possibility as the 8sp M950 seems much harder to obtain in mint condition. Im also thinking 97 XT (M739?) or 97 LX chainset...or finally a Middleburn Duo.

Fork wise im only interested in running V's so alot of modern forks in disc only guise are out the window. I was initially thinking Project 2's as I love the simplicity of a rigid front end, but not only are they nigh on impossible to find with a long steerer, but most people tend to think, including me, that a nice Ti frame deserves a bit more quality...
Therefore... what goes best? Im thinking Fox? Never had one before and not too sure which model to go for, or even if to go modern or perhaps 2000/2001 series etc.

I suppose that in summary id love your thoughts and guidance on...

Which chainset?, modern or retro?, 8 sp or is a 9 sp ok on my set up? Whats the BB length to go for?

Which fork? Is Fox the best option? old/new? which model and why?

Finally, Ive never really been that clued up on chain line measurements and chain ring size. Can anyone enlighten me? If im going to splash out on a lovely retro XTR crankset it would be nice to know that it will fit and work!

I hope this isnt too much info for one session! I look forward to reading your opinions and advice.

A 9spd chainset will work fine with 8spd,so that opens up your options no end :D
The rings on an M952 are likely to be 24/34/46,a little larger than those of modern stuff but IMHO better.
I'm running Fox F100 on the front of a Scott Spark at the moment and to fly in the face of fashion I'm not really keen on them :oops: I can't get them tuned as I like cos they decide at the factory what your negative spring pressure is gonna be unlike Rockshox who let you do your own,meaning you can almost give your fork a platform damping style if you wish,which is what I want or a remote lockout,which fox have just released but costs a fortune to upgrade :twisted: Looking at changing for a SID or DT.
On your Kona I would go for an 80mm fork as 100mm forks do seem to be quite a bit longer.

haha! was waiting for that one.

Surely anyone will make an exception for Ti?

I do still own a couple of steel rigs...

Now I know why that auction ended early ;)

I use a Fox RLC 80mm on my KK, but have ridden it with the 100mm version no problem. Mostly I use the 80 so the bike's geometry doesn't feel different when I put on the rigid ti fork. I do think a modern 80mm a-c length is probably closer to the 100mm it came with back then (on mine anyway, from 2000.) However, these forks are for disc, so the model doesn't help you. It's nice to have a simple, light-weight V on the raer wheel though. :D

Hmmm, your post was long enough that I've already forgotten most of the other questions. We really are a bunch of old gits on here. 8/9 speed was answered...yup...if you asked about axle length, it depends on the cranks you choose. If the BB question was about size, it'll be 68mm. Everything going hazy now.... :roll:

Fox Forx are loooooooong. I'd go for a Pace or Marzocchi if you want 100mm travel. Pre-hollowform Pace forks are the shortest for a given travel, which is good to know when wanting longer travel on older frames.

I run an RC36 with 90mm travel (about 20mm sag) on my Kona and they are about perfect, handling is wicked.

would love the RC31's, but im too lardy for them.

currently swaying down the Fox RL80 / 100 route but looking forward to other suggestions

I've got a 98 Hei Hei singlespeed. I was running a SID but it just always felt like crap. Waaaaaay too flexxy. I found a good deal on a 2002 Marzocchi X-Fly 100mm and I absolutely love it. Very smooth, full 100mm travel, and the fork locks in the compressed position, lowering the front end for climbing. It seems to be the perfect fork for a rigid xc bike.

The whole point of this really isn't that the X-Fly is great, more that the SID is junk. They're light, but they feel terrible and flex like crazy.

Aside from that, I'm running 8spd on my Freeride bike. I have found that the cable tension doesn't have to be as precise as with a 9spd cassette (the spacing in an 8spd cassette is wider than in a 9spd cassette), resulting in better shifting and less adjusting.

I'm running a 100mm 97 Marzocchi Z1 on the front of my 97 King Kahuna and I find it's works fine for me on the trails I ride. You loose a little sharpness compared to a shorter fork, but it is a lot more forgiving.

As far as 8 vs 9 speed stuff goes, I'm leaning more towards the 9 speed 952 than 8 speed 9 950 as it looks pretty similar and good 9 speed stuff is much easier to obtain, and I ride my bikes, so stuff eventually wears out.

Back