Kick stands on mtb's

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Ok, how many of you have a kick stand fitted, or are you happy to prop your bike ups against a harsh wall or lay it down in the crap ?

I have just fitted one based upon the anguish of the past, bikes propped up against walls and them moving (as there is no parking brake), and falling over the wall taking it's toll on handlebars, seat and frame. Not to mention if the thing just falls over and slams on alloy cranks or the vulnerable rear mech.

So, a cheapy from Wilkinsons to try the idea out, and like wow, I am impressed, even servicing, the back wheel off the chain and rear mech don't sit in the dirt. And for £4, it is a big foot design, it won't sink into crappy ground.

The other thing is, a trip down to the shops, get off and put the stand down, it looks so impressive parking up like that.

Bikes always used to have them, why did they fall from favour ?

cos they are crap and heavy :LOL:

never had a problem resting the rear wheel against a wall , the grip of the tyre stops it moving and the pedal at a 5oclock position will hold the bike up without anything to lean against

if you use the bike in town a lot carrying stuff it makes sense but offroad im not going to bother

Rest the wheel against the wall not the saddle or the bars it works for me (and the stands are heavy and catch mud so not so good or practical)

Had one on the Rockhopper.

Took it off out of peer pressure. :LOL:

Attachments

• rockhopper_fsmod.jpg
    rockhopper_fsmod.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,817
Back