Kestrel CSX build

How's your build coming, @Sartodt ?
Oh it’s done, but nowhere close to the extent of yours.. I basically just refreshed all the components to ones I couldn’t afford when I first bought the bike about 30yrs ago. It’s not totally period correct (xtr fd-m960 instead of fd-m95x since it is so hard to find the right clamp size and down pull), and a fc-m970 instead of the m95x series (I wanted a hollowtech bb and the 970 cranks closely matched the grey of the m951 rd).

Those SRP cranks!
Cool!
They need a better photo :)
What tool did you use to install those cranks?
Ha, maybe I can try to get a few more photos up next week. I'll look and what tool, but wasn't anything special. I'm out of town at the moment but can post an update on a week.

Well, in my Bontrager Race Lite build thread, I hinted that I had a few other builds brewing, and this is one of them. I found a great Kestrel CSX on fleabay last year for a phenomenal price ($59!), but as you can see in the photos below it is pretty beat up. Lots of paint chips, some pretty deep (although none of them gouged the carbon underneath). Decals partly worn off, and a very well-loved Tioga Revolver crankset with some Onza and Campy chainrings came with the frame. The Revolver was seized into the bottom bracket threads in the frame. I got one side out, but the other side.....well, I completely boogered up the cups with the wrench and a cheater bar trying to get it out of the frame. It got so critical that I didn't trust myself to not damage the frame, so paid the $25 at the LBS to have them work their magic, and thank goodness they were able to get it out without any casualties (to frame or mechanic!). I reached out to @kingoffootball because I noticed he was trying to piece together a lot of Tioga parts for a build he was doing and sold it to him for a cheap price. So the Revolver went over the pond to the UK, and I was left with quite a rehab job to begin!
View attachment 653757

View attachment 653758

View attachment 653759

View attachment 653760

I just picked up a very nice condition CSX frame. I’d like to build it up with a fixed fork. It is a medium. Do you have any idea how long before I should be looking for?

I just picked up a very nice condition CSX frame. I’d like to build it up with a fixed fork. It is a medium. Do you have any idea how long before I should be looking for?
I'm not sure what length fork was spec'd with the kestrel CSX, but I recall the fork looked like spinners. Maybe someone has an old catalog with the info?

such a rad build! hope it's tearing up that santa cruz single track
Thanks Ryne! I've been a bit busy lately, and not in a good way, but just finished rebuilding a late 90's Santa Cruz Heckler for my son so we can ride. So I'll be back out soon!

Latest posts

Back