karma diamondback ascent - update 24/8/19

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
The collection begins again :facepalm:

Well what would you do when a friend asks if you want a bike for free. I've just taken possession of this little gem at the princely cost of £0 :LOL: .

yes the purple tyres are staying. There's a couple of things to do but it's pretty much ready to ride and I intend to ride this quite a bit as I love old diamondbacks (ever since my old sorrento). Apologies for rubbish picture but I only took possession about 5 minutes ago so the photoshoots will be in the near future.

Attachments

• db.jpg
    db.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 870
Re: karma diamondback ascent

Definitely keep the purple tires. I loved my DB Ascent. A little heavy, but a great bike all around. That's a score for free.

Re:

Love the paintjobs on old diamondbacks. yes it's heavy but for what I have planned weight isn't an issue. Just nice to have an old bike like the ones I started off on. Modern 29er race bikes are great but sometimes it's nice to have a reminder of where it all began.

These frames were usually True Temper AVR - the same frame was used almost up to the top model with DX/ XT

Dump the heavy steel parts and it will transform the ride.

Re:

I've had a couple of Db's & really enjoyed them, both of them were cracking value too. Great score! :cool:

This is my third and final unicorn, I think about it daily, '89 Ascent and in my size!! My first MTB at 15...if you ever want to move it on, please contact me first.

Hotwheels.":2509l3cc said:
This is my third and final unicorn, I think about it daily, '89 Ascent and in my size!! My first MTB at 15...if you ever want to move it on, please contact me first.

That would have to be ultimate investment- obtain for £0 and then sell on !

Although by the sound of it, it’s a keeper for the foreseeable future, just don’t forget that inner 15 yr old child within hot wheels when it’s time to move on - ready made buyer !

Re:

Well now I know it's an 80s bike I definitely aren't letting go of it :LOL:

With not being able to ride much I've been trying to make up a little collection of one (or two) bikes from each era - a timeline almost and I didn't have any 80s bikes. In all honesty I wasn't even considering parting with it but if I ever do I'll make sure you get first dibs hotwheels.

At the moment it has some horrible modern 7 speed shifters with integrated V brake levers (yes I can confirm v brake levers and canti brakes do not work together) and the rear freehub is a bit gritty but all fairly easy fixes. Just need to source some slightly more retro 7 speed shifters. It's not mint condition but then that just means I'm more likely to actually ride it ;)

Back