Just bought a mysterious bike. Coventry ghost e-stay MTB?

Re: Re:

velomaniac":dily260c said:
errr...isn't British Eagle a subsidiary or successor of Coventry Eagle not the other way around as has been stated as Coventry Eagle are much older :?

Either way, nice bike, and better by a long way than a Townsend Warlord which I embarrasingly rather like :oops:
Just looked up the Townsend and it's not bad looking IMO. Nice dropouts for a single speed too. For some inexplicable reason though, I find the pointy little chainring triangle kinda funny. Kinda looks like a standard bike frame and an e-stay frame had a child together and the Townsend Warlord was the result.

I think one of the main complaints of e-stay bikes is they tend to be quite a bit heavier. The Warlord really looks like a regular frameset, just with the chainstay moved and a short extra tube on the middle. So I bet that the weight is only slightly more than a regular Townsend bike (whatever that is).

$_86.JPG

Well, I picked up the coventry. Turns out the bike was a donation to a water for africa charity which was selling the bike. They had a nice looking 531 tube Raleigh also. Almost left with an extra bike :oops:, but managed to resist.

Gave her a bit of a wash and lube. Fitted a few random bits and bobs I had lying around like some lighter handlebars, random saddle, grips and some new marathon plus's (£23 for the pair from Amazon on Monday and they arrived today :mrgreen:).

20150616_214403.jpg

20150616_214435_LLS.jpg

Still a few things left to do. You may notice there are a few pretty major things missing from the bike such as NO BRAKES! Did come with some alright Shimano cantilevers, but I'm gonna change them out since the bolts were really badly rusted.

I think whoever owned the bike took very good care of it and got some good use out of it. Everything looks like it had been newly greased before they just stopped riding it, then let it stand for maybe 10 years given the surface rust on some parts. The tyres were all cracked up due to age, but look like they were never ridden. I also think the wheels were close to new when they stopped riding her.

Anyways, waiting for a package to arrive with a few parts from planetx. My goal is to get the bike nice and rideable for about £50 (including the cost of the bike).

Back