JUDY XC Rebuild Questions

Re:

2 years later the forks came with springs fitted. MCU where used as it was fashionable and light.

Rebuild the damper and use it. Look for a later one for if/when it starts to loose its oil. It'll not kill your fork if it does and it's a simple job to replace them.
Mine are still running fine with original wings and also speed springs.

Hi Guys
All above Judy stuff fresh resonates. Have same dummy fork & dampered fork, same inners as shown (save elastomers were blue crumble!). Kronos springs arrived today so thought I'd re-assemble BUT AM STUCK! Wanted to put 5w oil in damper cartridge (black plastic one with circlip at one end). Thought you just take c-clip out and bob's yer uncle?!$%&*. Behind c-clip there's a black plastic insert with four blind holes. Using circlip pliers I turned it...it's stubbord...it's not threaded (I think) but it turned. Damper rod does not feel ready (yet) to withdraw from damper body? So, before doing some damage: How the so-an-so do I get in there to PUT THE OIL IN?

Re:

Howdy.

Often times the o-rings and mainseals are standard, off-the-shelf industrial units. If you take your existing ones into a local industrial hydraulics outfitter/supplier, you might well find exactly what you need (at a surprisingly reasonable cost).

Re:

thats the top end you're trying to go in, spacer acts as a travel stop ?
been a few years since i did one now, but there are two ways.
One way is to take the adjustable grub screw out and top up through there pumping air out as you go.

the other and correct is just tap the end (bottom end) with the seal out, pull apart clean up.
fill with oil, place seal back on with a little thread to create a hole (betweeen seal and shaft) for air to escape, tap in tap in...

A mix of the two then, push oil in through the shaft adjuster hole letting oil out the other (pumping s needed)

OR instead of the thread, use a hyperdermic needle this works better as you can inject oil through.

There is a thread(s) on this, it;s in the archive on the actual manual too, plus look at teh 1997 addon manaul

rushing posting this as got to go now.....

Thanks a mill FC...now of knowledge 'a little confident' mallet tapping on end of damper rod and ever so slowly seal began to protrude. Voila! Thanks a lot again F

That 2mm adjuster screw (took it out before tapping) does it have a default position? Like 5,10, 20 turns in?

Re:

you can get the damper from Risse racing, "BUT" it may give you grey hair.....I was refurbing a judy XC and so ordered from their website, it took my money but it was a looong time with minimal response from them before I got the damper, with that being said, they are the only? game in town I guess for new???

Back