Judy XC Question

Am I right in thinking to strip the stanchions out of the lower legs I'll need to undo the hex bolts slightly, then tap them in sharply to release them?

Yes, just screw the bolts out a bit, make sure there is still enough threaded so no to damage the threads, then tap out, shouldn't need to whack them, then obviously take the bolts fully out and remove legs. The bolts bolt into the damper and dummy shaft, so they should still be inside the legs and come out the bottom once the circlips are removed from memory. Really straight forward though.

Yes, there should be a damping unit in those forks as far as I know. IIRC it should be a sealed plastic cartridge. Kits are £27.50 plus £4 postage but if you want 2 kits I can do those for £54 posted

Cool...

Bolts tapped, circlips removed, sealed plastic cartridge? Hmm, well it was sealed! I also stripped down the newer version XC's to see what was going onside them too.

Damping unit was full of god knows what - probably broken down elastomer from before the springs were put in.

Can I use the newer Judy springs, and elastomer set-up (with new elastomers of course)? This will save me from having to find the plastic washer/spacers that fit between the individual elastomers of early arrangement.

I think @johndeverill you already suggested this.

Last edited:
Ahh I thought those cartridges were sealed but it looks like you can service them from what you've said and this...

I've serviced the metal one before for someone.

Can you measure the length of the wooden dowels and I'll see how they match up in length to the type 2s? Not a problem as I can do them any length up to 150mm anyway

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The plastic cartridges were not originally meant to be serviceable, though you can blow the end off quite easy and change oil weights etc.

@mk one Any idea what weight of oil and quantity needed?

@johndeverill the springs that are in there don't match the later XC, or the hydracoil after that, i have no idea where they came from. I do however have the springs, and spacers as above from a '97 so in theory I just need 2x 102mm of elastomer. Can you supply?

@mk one Any idea what weight of oil and quantity needed?

I cant remember what I used to use, many many years since I used to play around with them, I experimented with it for a bit until I found something that felt good, relatively speaking of course.

Last time I had a set of these I fitted some springs and they were great! We’re from USA abd on eBay… could look into it for u or maybe try searching my threads on a Kili Team I built 👍

I have most of the parts available on my site. Let me know if you have any questions.

springs

Damper service kit

Hardbody conversion to eliminate the plastic body

Back