Johnny Kay

Emmo

Dirt Disciple
I`m in the Lakes at the moment and today i spoke to a rider from the Solway Club. He was riding a frame with the name Johnny Kay on it, i spoke to him about it, and all he could tell me was that he thought it to be about the 1960s frame. He also said he thought it may have come from somewhere in Lancashire. he did not know if it was made by Johnny Kay or if it was a factory made frame and then had the shop name put on it. Does anybody remember this shop or frame builder as that is a name i have never come across before. I would be very interested to find out more.

Here's one held by his son Gerald (I think).

232323232fp73435nu32646396WSNRCG356592893329nu0mrj.jpg

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... ional.html

Shaun

Thanks very much Midlife thats been a BIG help. Saw the guy in MAE`S tea rooms in Uldale. You have been a helping hand in the past thankyou for that. Doug

I remember that he had regular adverts in the 50's and 60's in the small ads in 'Cycling' where he boasted that his frames weighed 6 3/4 lbs. I'm still not sure if that meant that they were light or not! In the days when 531 was your only tubing choice then there wasn't much opportunity to get frames much lighter than 'the oppositions'.

Latest posts

Back