Jockey Wheels for Rear Mech.

wilkij1975

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All

I have an old LX rear mech for my 94 Kona but the jockey wheels are shot. I do have some from a modern XT mech and was wondering if they would work in the old LX mech? I want to run the bike as an original 7 speed which makes me wonder if the jockey wheels from a new 9 speed mech would work?

If not, where can I find some jockey wheels for the old LX mech?

The basic Shimano ones are still available as spares. Try any decent bike shop. However from what I recall the LX ones are very basic, and for similar money you can get some snazzy aftermarket ones, which hopefully would last a little longer.

I think you will find the modern jockey wheels have a different number of teeth and may be too big for your old mech. However you should be able to get spares I would have thought. If not, let me know (pm) and I will have a rummage in my box and see what I can find.

Ten teeth on the old shimano, eleven on newer stuff that I have seen, although I run aftermarket sealed bearing alloy jockey wheels, maybe heavier slightly, but shifting is better, more precise and they look better in shiny aluminium.

I recently replaced the sealed bearings, about four quid all in and SKF at that, easy.

i hvae just bought some new jockeys aluminium cnced, sealed bearings very pretty, but... they appear identical, and there is no float in either,very smooth but no side to sdie movement, am i to expect poor shifting fluffy, sorry to hijack but often i forget to ask such things till i see a similar thread :LOL: :?

Back