Jan BoTM 2008 - Kona Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
old skool new skool mix is ace

although there are too many hei hei's for my liking, they're losing their halo... i've been leaning to Hots for a while now

This has been submitted for two BOTM before, Nil-Points on it's first outing and 2 votes on it's second... I don't have high hopes for winning :cool:

yo2ybx.jpg

But we do have a hell of a lot of fun together and have done since 1995 :twisted:

messiah":c4rz1d6r said:
This has been submitted for two BOTM before, Nil-Points on it's first outing and 2 votes on it's second... I don't have high hopes for winning :cool:

But we do have a hell of a lot of fun together and have done since 1995 :twisted:

Splendid. A 96 Explosif bought late in 95? Bi-ovalised Columbus top and down tubes? Mmmmm.

I wonder if it would get more votes if you cleaned it? Seriously, this is a looks first, function second community and it's quite a nice colour underneath there somewhere. On the other hand, there are votes for a bike being ridden and not just a garage queen, I know that. But even though there is merit in mud being present, I wonder whether the ideal place for it is on the tyres, not on the frame?

BOTM

Time to enter! Here's my baby! Try an imagine a nice outdoor scene behind it!

Attachments

• DSC_0059LR(2).jpg
    DSC_0059LR(2).jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,617
I'll have to get home early and clean mine up tomorrow....not that I stand a snowballs, but it's not the winning it's the taking part :0)

Mind you I dunno whether I'll have enough time to clean it....it's so muddy that if I lay it down somewhere it takes me ages to find it!!!! :roll:

But until I have, here's a sneeky peek, I'll update when it's clean cos its got some new bits since this was taken ;)

1083893973_a3f1cd9acd_m.jpg

OK here she is, cleaner, but not spotless, I don't have enough hours inbetween finishing werk and it getting dark....The sun has gone now :0(...but here's a pic and my "official" entry :0)

Anyway a bit of info:

1990 Kona Fire Mountain in blue with white splatter
One owner from new (ME!)

Had the following tweaks/replacements over 18 years of ownership....

Mavic MA40MB Black rims
Ritchey Megabites
Campagnolo front Canti
Deore XT II U rear
Selle Italia Flite Max Gel Flow Saddle
BBB Seat post
Onza Bar ends
Shimano Alivio chainset
Shimano M520 Spd pedals
Shimano XT M733
Shimano STX Rapidfire 7 Speed Trigger Shifters
New handlebars
Mint Sauce stickers...well I was 14 at the time! :0)

Actually just realised it's easier to say what's original :0)
Frame
Project two forks
Hubs
Stem
Front and rear derailleurs

And thinking about it more, a lot of those replacements have been since I found Retrobike...........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2180151547_b88f961c45_o.jpg

Anthony":bocggp91 said:
Splendid. A 96 Explosif bought late in 95? Bi-ovalised Columbus top and down tubes? Mmmmm.

I wonder if it would get more votes if you cleaned it? Seriously, this is a looks first, function second community and it's quite a nice colour underneath there somewhere. On the other hand, there are votes for a bike being ridden and not just a garage queen, I know that. But even though there is merit in mud being present, I wonder whether the ideal place for it is on the tyres, not on the frame?

Anthony,

I've posted info about it in the readers rides section.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124534#124534

Haven't got any better photos of the King Kahuna as yet, or taken any of the all original down to the tyres 94 Cindercone as yet, so I'll just have to make do with some older shots of the KK for the moment.

kingkahuna1_738.jpg

kingkahuna3_826.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back