It was different back then!

I had Benelux + 4 speed block on my old Viking Ian Steel. Was good, until my mate ran into it at some traffic lights - my first club run too. Still, I managed to complete the course (around 50 miles) using one gear.

I had Benelux + 4 speed block on my old Viking Ian Steel. Was good, until my mate ran into it at some traffic lights - my first club run too. Still, I managed to complete the course (around 50 miles) using one gear.
Hello I think I might have done my first club run on those too, They were on my fathers Ephgrave that I got hold of I was 15, the bike was 20, did huge miles , well it felt like that :) I was stuffed when got in & that’s where this addiction started. :)

Last edited:
Had a Benelux derailleur on my first ‘big’ bike. No matter what I tried, I could not get it set up correctly so it was always in bottom gear. Didn’t help that I was a daft ham-fisted youth, yet to learn how to fettle things properly.

Luckily, it was replaced by my brother’s Langsett with full Campag groupset which didn’t need any adjustments at all.

Had a Benelux derailleur on my first ‘big’ bike. No matter what I tried, I could not get it set up correctly so it was always in bottom gear. Didn’t help that I was a daft ham-fisted youth, yet to learn how to fettle things properly.

Luckily, it was replaced by my brother’s Langsett with full Campag groupset which didn’t need any adjustments at all.
yes I was similar but you learn how to play with these things. I started riding in 68, racing in 69, so old fart now.

Back