It is ... it isn't ... it is ... an Sbike!

Having freed the stem, it was time to replace (and hopefully sell) those aero bars, stem and shifters (for sale here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...rse-stem-microshift-bar-ends-shifters.433473/)

I don't have a real idea of build direction yet, so the plan is to put on some parts from storage and ride it some more to get an idea of what will be best for the build.

Checking through what I have stored, it seems I am well stocked in some areas an face a shortage in others. Plenty of thumbies, so I chose some DX ones for now and this was a chance to use my favourite brake levers again, but the only bars I have spare are my GT Duraliminium ones that are part of the components set aside for if I get another early GT - I'll have to use them for now, but I want to replace them before I damage them too much. In terms of bar ends, I appear to have got rid of all of them, including the Salsa ones that were by far my favourite I've ever used. I think I must have sold them for next to nothing at a bike jumble 🙄

So for now a temporary setup:
New cockpit.JPG

I've also found some very light silver bar ends and put them on it temporarily.

The main build decisions I can think of:
* seatpost - I need a longer 29.6mm seatpost as soon as possible.
* wheels - I like the look of the modern Gipiemme wheels , but I want to able able to ride some off orad too, so I think I'll need another wheelset and then have to decide whether I can justify keeping the Gipiemmes for road use or just selling them. It's harder to find the correct size wheels, so I guess I'll be choosing hubs and then either building wheels myself or getting some built.
* groupset - I definitely need to change the gearing, so should I replace the whole original Alivio groupset? If so, maybe the choice of cranks will lead the choice - I do have XT thumbies I could swap in if necessary.
* controls - I'll get a new bar - I like the idea of using a steel bar, since the frame, stem and bar ends will all be steel too. I'll probably stick with thumbies too and the levers will stay but be repainted.

I'd been wondering whether to stick with mainly black components or try to switch to mainly silver - but seeing as there will be a few parts that need refinishing, it may be that I use another complementary colour ..... and suggestions? The frame is a deep blue with heavy silver flake.

Bars and bar ends.JPG

Much more comfortable with this setup .... except for the much-too-short seatpost.

I think I am going to have to give up on finding a 29.6 mm on here and buy a modern seatpost.

If I buy a new seatpost, the options I have found so far are:

a silver kalloy SP248 or a black Shannon Hardcore (must remember to specify "seatpost" when searching for images of that one):
Kalloy SP248 seatpost.jpg Shannon hardcore seatpost.jpg

The Kalloy is more retro but the Shannon is longer (430mm vs 400mm) and might be better made.

Does anyone have opinions on either?

Really, I guess I should make a decision about what colour I need for the build. The bars, bar ends and levers will all be refinished, so I can be flexible with what colour I use for them. I haven't chosen hubs to build up new wheels yet (though I have an M900 set I could use or some nice anodised blue hubs that I guess wouldn't really fit well with the frame colour) so that also doesn't help. The seatpost is one part that won't be refinished, so whether I buy silver or black, it's going to have to stay.

It was previously built up with mainly black parts, which looked good, but I wonder whether silver would bring out the flake in the powdercoat more. I realise I haven't put up a good photo of the colour of the powdercoat, so here are those elevated stays and three hole dropouts to show the colour a bit better:

Stays.JPG

Any opinions on which seatpost? Or alternatives I haven't considered?

Attachments

• Kalloy SP248 seatpost.jpg
    Kalloy SP248 seatpost.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2
That kalloy is also a Ritchey and O-beam and .... as used through the retro years. Kalloys are usually well made.

Do you need layback.

The Shannon, looks nice but probably as I like the inline style posts. Do they make their own posts or do Kalloy et al make them for them?

EDIT, just had a look, nice solid seatpost (heavy I guess). Designed straight out of the late 80's

That kalloy is also a Ritchey and O-beam and .... as used through the retro years. Kalloys are usually well made.

Do you need layback.

The Shannon, looks nice but probably as I like the inline style posts. Do they make their own posts or do Kalloy et al make them for them?

EDIT, just had a look, nice solid seatpost (heavy I guess). Designed straight out of the late 80's

They are made in Germany, apparently. Not lightweight at 325g, but then I'm thinking more about function that weight for this build, as the frame isn't lightweight anyway.

I'm not sure whether I need layback, as it's hard to tell riding it with a seatpost that is so much too short for me 😅

Back