It fits! Specialized Ground Control 1996 + some Q's

Slow6

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After buying a Proflex 455 in a whim, discovering this good forum and it's antics and losing the last few weeks worth of evenings to wandering through the halls perving on so many stunning old rides I have the bug bad...Not the budget sadly but the bug is a start right?
I found this advertised the other day and again did the sight unseen thing. This time it fits me like a glove! The Proflex now belongs to loml:oops:
I have only just bought her home from a long drive to the city so excuse the photos, I haven't even wiped of the dirt and the camera hates low light and the color red.
From what I can tell it's a 96 bottom of the line model but I would be very grateful for expert opinions to confirm or deny :D
This is the one I think it is.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=55137&Type=bike

The only problem is the bottom bracket is stuffed. It looks as if something had been dropped on one of the cranks and knocked the insides skewiff. A point towards a suitable replacement would be very much appreciated :)

Tyres I'm guessing are originals.. shows how little use this bike has seen.

ok.. less chat more pics.. Here she is, my second full sus monstrosity!

oh yes.. and are there kits available to improve the old elastomer RST's?

Cheers folks :D

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,058
More Pics

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,056
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,057
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,057
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,057
next lot.. plenty more if you want them.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,053
Thanks Fingers :D

I forgot to mention the serial.. PN 638743 .. or is PN a patent number? I found it under the BB.

Picked up the appropriate tools and got the cranks off and the BB out today, It was a busted up mess, loose bearing balls everywhere and shattered bits of whatsits.. it took me a while to get all the balls out with a wire to enable me to get the spindle back into the center so I could get the special socket thingo to engage.

Good news though.. No damage to the internals of the frame.. the threads are fine. phew! I cant see any damage to the cranks so fingers crossed a new BB from the bike shop in the morning will have it sorted.

It must have been a fair whack to crush the bearing like that.

Another question.. is it worth saving those Specialized gum walls?
I was thinking maybe I should take them off along with the grips and seat, pack them away.

Was this the one advertised on the gumtree classifieds? If so, I thought briefly of getting it, but it looked too large.

Well bought, anyhow! A very cool bike.

Reposter":28o4h6jr said:
Was this the one advertised on the gumtree classifieds? If so, I thought briefly of getting it, but it looked too large.

Well bought, anyhow! A very cool bike.

That's the one. The frame is marked XL. I'm 6' 1" and it's on the large side of just right.
Thanks to the shattered Bearings I took it home for half the price.
I was amazed it was still there, I didn't see the advert until it was a good few weeks old. Never think to look at gumtree.

Back