Is using Cassette N-1 a simple trick to give access to modern cassettes on old 7 speed cassette hub?

As per this sheldon article it seems a simple matter of removing the smallest sprocket.

Since 34t 7 speed cassettes are none existent, or very rare that I can see, I thought why not just buy an 8 speed (or even greater) with the desired max low gear toothage and take off that highest sprocket.

In the case of 7 speed it seems cheaper to do that anyway as a 7 speed freewheel design at 34t costs £30 while an 8 speed 34t is only £13.99.

So is it a trivial task to remove that sprocket and away you go? Surely if Sheldon recommends it then it is an absolute.

Seems a good workaround vs. holding out for the rare retro bikes that are 8 speed or having to go backwards to freewheel. The majority that have come across my purview on the shortlist seem to be 7 speed hyperglide cassettes.

If using thumb shifters in friction mode could I use any number -1?

Would the rear derailleur be a limiting factor on size of low gear above a certain point? How big toother could an older RD take max do you reckon on normal 90s 3x7 bike? Certain dinner plates out of bounds if reaching past the mid 30 teeth?

Last edited:
7 speed 11-34t

£20, sorted...next
Yes I been looking on their site. I am wondering if I can push bigger now. :)

I saw a thread where someone cleared 36 and if it didn't fit could use a hanger? Maybe 42 is just getting greedy? :LOL:

If it worked I would have the option of keeping the 26 front without having to get a whole new crankset. Kind of like a modern 2x where they have relatively big back cassette with 22/36 up front.

Back