Is this a custom painted hei hei?

Wasn't there a thread about team riders having their ti bikes painted to look like steel ones for sponsorship reasons?

al-onestare":122qdwbe said:
Big dilema; keep the paint or bring it back to it's underwear?

Keep the paint.
Of the fancy 'factory' paint schemes that Kona offered on the Hots, this flame-job is way nicer than the 'star & bars'.

And as this is a Ti frame painted like a Hot, it MIGHT have been a team frame at some point...?

I'd swap my bare Ti Hei Hei for a factory flame-job version any day of the week.

KEEP THE PAINT DUDE!! :eek:

You've got something very unique and it would be an absolute shame to strip it! The paint's not exactly in bad
shape anyways and the exposed bits are nothing to worry about 'CAUSE IT'S TI!! :D
...my offer still stands if you need somewhere to keep it :LOL: :LOL:

al-onestare":2vrnhbay said:
Big dilema; keep the paint or bring it back to it's underwear?
I believe it's the case that if you want to paint titanium successfully, you need to treat the frame chemically to rough up the surface so that the paint will stick on. So if you strip a painted ti frame, you get a pretty unsightly surface to look at. I suppose it may be possible to polish it back to a nice finish, but I'm not sure about that.

In any case, if the historical significance of the frame lies in the paint, then you'll be reducing its value and committing a bit of a sacrilege if you strip it. I think it's one of those times when if you don't like the way something is, you shouldn't buy it.

The paint will stay, without a doubt.Might want to find some touch up paint though if anyone knows where to get some.

I like the paint work. But what is the red bits on the down tube? Tape?

Back