Is there a non destructive way to remove 3 piece crank without a puller?

To take this topic a little further- the old adage of "I can't afford to buy cheap tools" applies to an extent. the amount of damage cheap tools have cause exceed the extra few dollars to buy decent.

I like your idea. I love having super low gearing too. I carry 40+ kilos or so on a day to day basis and need those ultra low ratios to save my knees starting up gradients. Just a little confused by your approach. We need more information to be of help.
Yes, another good point I read on another 'pro-low' thread was dumping into a really low gear gives you a chance to get a breather while still climbing that hill.

Find a local bike coop, bike kitchen, bike charity etc and use their tools. Maybe they'll help with some experience, too. Here's one in Brum, and I found that from Tasmania.

Same principle as pulling teeth..

1) Tie some rope to the crank arm
2) Tie it off to the tow bracket on your car
3) Get a friend to hold the bike frame firmly in both hands
4) Rev the bollocks off your car, lift the clutch and hey presto.. the crank will pop straight off without the need for expensive tools

..at least it should in theory

To take this topic a little further- the old adage of "I can't afford to buy cheap tools" applies to an extent. the amount of damage cheap tools have cause exceed the extra few dollars to buy decent.

Yep, found this out the hard way after buying a cheap square taper BB tool which then proceeded to destroy the splines on the BB itself as the ones on the tool weren't deep enough to properly engage. Not a total waste of money as a week later I used that BB tool in conjunction with a crank puller to clamp down on the drive side of a cup cone bb and get it off, but yeah buy once and buy right. Even if it's a tool you think you're going to use just the once, better to buy quality and know that you'll have it for future use as opposed to cheaply machined stuff that can turn a two minute job into a two hour ordeal :)

Back