Is Retro all it's cracked up to be?

edstart

Devout Dirtbag
Ok so I got your attention.

I love SOME retro that reminds me of times gone by however I appreciate that some modern technology is BETTER.

My retro builds always have some modern parts with a retro 'theme'. I try to build my steeds with my memories in mind. I.e. bits I used to have / really wanted at the time and now can get my hands on!

I'll attactch a picture of my first project I have tackled and later I will post the finshed build (once it's done) and you can judge for yourself.

Ed

p.s. Merry Christmas to all retrobike.co.uk folks!

Attachments

• dsp_pict0508.jpg
    dsp_pict0508.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,352
Are you comparing the modern technology of today's Storck vs. yesteryear's Huffy's? :p While it can be argued that modern technology is better, there's also some truth in the old saying "they don't build them like they used to". In my mind both are true. You weren't specific in your claim that modern technology is better i.e. are Flite's current Titanium seats really any better than the ones I have from 1993? I think it could be argued that they might not be because all businesses are under pressure to cut costs and improve profits and sometimes this comes at the expense of product quality. With the exception of disc brakes, I don't think there have been substantial industry changes that make the '90's bikes we cherish obsolete. I mean, I have a 14 year old bike with front suspension that weighs just a few ounces over 20 pounds. ;) I grimace when I see today's hardtail equivalents pushing 24 pounds or so and then retail for $3-$4k!! What am I missing? :?:

Also, no matter how good you tell me current frame technology is, I can't get over the geometry of current bikes. For me, a bike looks hella sexy when its seat is substantially higher than the stem. :cool: :D I like it even more because it adds character such that, even from a distance and with bad eyesight, you're not going to mistake a 1990's Klein, or Slingshot, or Zaskar, or Pro-Floater that is lined up against one of today's bikes. At least I know I wouldn't. :p :D

I think the main thing modern has over retro is reliability, for example suspension forks work the same all the time, not dependant on the temperature etc

and as sfklein mentioned disc brakes

In general I also feel the style of riding has changed and this is reflected in the geometry, High bars, low seat is much better for skids and wheelies, and I think people are more into having fun than hardcore racing?

I'm lucky, I can afford a quiver of both retro and modern, but whichever one I choose to ride on any given day the result has to be the same

Did I enjoy myself? I'm not a pro, its doesn't pay my wages(quite the opposite) and thats all that matters

Scrat":4tmdpclk said:
I think the main thing modern has over retro is reliability, for example suspension forks work the same all the time, not dependant on the temperature etc

I think you meant to say "consistency" instead of reliability. I mean, the fact that we can even enjoy bikes that are 15 to 20 years old speaks volumes to the fact that they must be reliable or else we wouldn't have them to enjoy, right? ;) :p

I agree on the "having fun" part. I'm not into wheelies & downhilling but I can respect the folks who are and the bikes that they like riding.

SF Klein":akebn5nh said:
Scrat":akebn5nh said:
I think the main thing modern has over retro is reliability

I think you meant to say "consistency" instead of reliability

Yes i'll give you that, modern stuff doesn't seem to have the same life expectancy :shock:

Funny you mention that. I was thinking the other day that full suspension bikes are a local bike shop's dream come true. While hardtail/non-suspension bikes need a periodic chain lube and some cable adjustment every now and then, the full suspension variety require much more maintenance. I was looking at the owner's manual of a modern suspension bike and couldn't believe how often the mfg recommended lubrication of the various pivots & bushes. I don't know but I'm glad I don't have to head down to my bike store every 3-6 months to prevent squeaking bushings. :p

It reminded me a bit of having a car and how you just get in the habit of replacing wiper blades, brakes, changing out the shocks, etc. after so many miles. Maybe the bike mfg's recommendations for more frequent servicing are a reflection on the mfg's expectation that their bikes will see a more severe type of usage? The bike shop's service department can already hear the "ca-ching" ringing of the cash register bell in the distance. ;)

I should also have added, and I concede, that modern tire technology is MUCH improved from yesteryear. From tread patterns, to tire compounds, to manufacturing quality/tolerances, etc. - it's all a better thing. Now if only we could get that technology in different colored rubber compounds... :D

"Is Retro all it's cracked up to be?"

:shock:

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• STONE HIM!!!!.jpg
    STONE HIM!!!!.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,292
I wish I had a fiver for every time we have had this debate. I'd be able to buy a worn white Onza Porc with the money.

;)

Back