Is Modern Better Than Retro?

xxnick1975":1524nsp2 said:
Scratch that, that canyon costs nearly £4K... Get me an old proflex!

My proflex xp8 cost me about 1600 and that was in a sale back in '98. Rough rule of thumb is prices double every 10 years so 20 years on it would cost 6400 in todays money so the canyon is cheap by comparison.

Bottom line is we can get more bang per buck now for a new mtb that will out perform a 20+ year old bike, it stands to reason due progress.

Im not saying throw retro into the skip, they have a place in the modern world.

I personally cannot see how any comparison could or should be made.
One is a development of the other :?

What happens in another 20 years ? Do we/they then scoff at the differences there ? Likely 20 years it will be electric or hydraulic shifting as standard, or even wireless.

Can we compare Montgolfier brothers against Eurofighter :?
Scoff at the differences ? ' Oh yes, clearly better ' Bit of a no-brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp9x9tA ... tml5=False

I dont care what anyone says. The Original FSR looks a million times better than that modern Sworks, albeit its current configuration isnt correct, but still a lot better on the eye, and in that i claim to have one(the 'eye' that is)

Think it was quite a fair comparison overall and that the dude was fairly kind about that old pro flex.

I think car and bike inflation has been negative if anything

Re:

For give me but I've been out of the bike loop for over 10 years
When did they switch to 29inch wheels and all different geometry.

Looks like bike have made riders more lazy with inches of comfort.

Re:

29" about 5 years ago*, fairly gradually at first, but 26" are now extinct for all the bigger manufacturers for the past 2-3 years; it's 29" for XC/rigid, 27.5" for everything else, and 26" for FatBikes..

The geometry isn't a switch; more of a gradual evolution, partly necessitated by increasing fork travel and corresponding a2c length (which has stopped now as the larger wheels often don't permit as much travel, hah!)

*I hasten to add, I'm talking large-scale, mainstream. We know 29ers have been around longer than v-brakes; and both are pre-Victorian, or possibly pre-Cambrian.. but I'm just talking loosely in respect of large-scale mainstream bike companies.

29" are 700c and already obsolete as the wheels were too big for decent suspension designs

Now its 650b or officially 27.5", something that been used for decades but is now supposed to be all new and exciting in the world of MBR

26" running big tyres pretty much does the same thing if you have the frame/ fork clearance.

Older is better because I say so.

Theres a few retro/mod Marins that would give some recent stuff a run for its money.

And:

Geometry isnt technology

Oily chains are not technology

Teeny tiny front chainrings are not technology

52t cassette sprockets are not technology

Electronic shifting is technology

E-bikes are not Yorkshire nor are they bicycles

I'm bored of it all and just try and enjoy cycling for what it is, not for the branding or the hype.

Plus cars and bicycles are not comparable analogies.

Until bicycles have ESP, ASR, SRS airbags, engine management, DPF, catalytic converters, Pilot assist, Hybrid technologies, ABS, central locking etc etc, then I might entertain the thought...

This may all mean a stiff letter to the Times you know!

Did 360 miles in the Honda today. Modern is better. For cars. 50.1mpg automatic wipers, lights abs esp TSB vcr egr etc

Basic principles are the same for bicycles since I've been riding them. A quality bike was always better. Whenever it was made. Same old chestnut.

Back